Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 22, 2009, 04:12 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blais16 View Post
once you have taste raid 0 you wouldn't return to single disk

im on raid 0 on all my rigs
I disagree. There was zero performance difference when I moved to 2 X25-M's. The only reason I did it was 80GB wasn't enough.
Old July 22, 2009, 08:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
I disagree. There was zero performance difference when I moved to 2 X25-M's. The only reason I did it was 80GB wasn't enough.
Funny, that reminds me of my first 4-drive array, four 76GB 75GXP "Deathstars" in RAID-0 on a Highpoint HPT370. I chose RAID-0 because JBOD offered no better data security and I simply wanted to create a 300GB volume. I too was merely seeking capacity.

Unlike your experience with your X25s, I was blown away. My whole computer seemed so much faster. I've used RAID-0 for booting and apps ever since.

Last february I replaced my 4 Raptors with 4 Vertex. That brought a similar overall speedup.

Sure, there are prices to be paid. RAID/SCSI controllers add to bootup times. MTBFs are multiplied. Some simply want what's fastest though and keep backups..

Ultimately, the benchmarks don't lie.

btw thanx for the tip in another thread about the Dell PERC 5/i. They're awfully cheap on ebay. I'm taking a closer look.
Old July 22, 2009, 11:44 PM

My System Specs

IMO RAID for mechanical drives adds quite a bit, but for SSD's not so much. And most benchmarks do lie. In synthetic tests they'll show improvements, but in real world tasks they'll be almost nil. I've owned I think 8+ SSD's now & 3 different RAID cards (+ ICH10R) and have done my share of testing. You'll find most of the people on XS feel the same ways now. Sure RAID will help with sequential reads/writes but those are not very often the limitation with SSD's anymore.

And regarding the Perc 5i. Don't bother. Its a good cheap card for mechanical drives and RAID5. But for SSD's, meh. The IOP processor isn't powerfuly enough. Unless you are willing to spend $1000+ on a good Areca card they rest will disappoint.
Old July 23, 2009, 07:02 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
regarding the Perc 5i. Don't bother. Its a good cheap card for mechanical drives and RAID5. But for SSD's, meh. The IOP processor isn't powerfuly enough. Unless you are willing to spend $1000+ on a good Areca card they rest will disappoint.
Thanx. I kinda wondered why cards that retail for $600 are going for less than $100.

My original thoughts were to get an Areca but you won't find any in the bargain bin.

In the last few years I've fallen behind the times on the RAID controller curve, having focused more on SSD evolution. For RAID-0, software RAID on the southbridge has been adequate until I hit the wall with my four Vertex.

I'm not an IT pro, just a performance enthusiast with a small business troubleshooting and fixing people's home computers. You seem to know your stuff. Are you an IT pro?
Old July 23, 2009, 08:40 AM

My System Specs

Pro? No Just a hobbyist.
Old July 23, 2009, 08:49 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboToronto View Post

I'm not an IT pro, just a performance enthusiast with a small business troubleshooting and fixing people's home computers.
@Jimbotoronto there seem's to be a lot of us follow canadian's who do this very thing, big growing market all i have been doing is the higher end (well trying too business is very slow the last 4 months)
Old July 23, 2009, 10:18 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
@Jimbotoronto there seem's to be a lot of us follow canadian's who do this very thing, big growing market all i have been doing is the higher end (well trying too business is very slow the last 4 months)
Higher end? Lucky you.

Most of my work is the usual borderline-power-supply, failed-HDD, software-reinstallation crap.

Still, a hundred bucks is a hundred bucks. Do a couple a day and it's an OK living.