Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2009, 12:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
yes. Just to be clear your running vista right?. reason behind my question is that in xp you have to load the achi driver where in vista it will load it for you automatic for ya.

That would need some explaining because I am not using vista but XP sp3. Do you mean that I would have to install the drivers separately for XP for my MB disc and then switch it in the BIOS ?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I've never use eSata before.....

Old July 7, 2009, 01:00 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Really..... sources on that one there? My eSATA on the Hiper Osiris worked just fine on my old 939 board... Acts just like a hot-swap drive...
My board is proof. There is no hot-swapping and gigabyte does not list it as eSATA compatible.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you'll have to check it out cause everytime i used xp( which has been awhile ) i had to load the ahci drivers at the f6 key part of install it may be different for sp3 check with someone running xp sp3. ( sorry i don't think xp is hot-swapable with out the ahci drivers.)
(easy way to check is to set the ide to sata and see if it boots if so your good to go. If not change it back and follow the below steps) any more help no problem

You have xp. Your computer supports achi. So all you have to do is update your driver through the device manger and point it to the raid achi driver on the mb cd or download them from intel once that is done just reboot enter bios and change the sata setting from IDE to ahci and your done. Let it reboot and it should load the right driver.
Old July 7, 2009, 01:25 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
My board is proof. There is no hot-swapping and gigabyte does not list it as eSATA compatible.
From Xp I just click on "safely remove hardware" and its there, ready to be disconnected. When I plug it back it in redetects like a USB drive. (I believe mine's running in AHCI mode as well, but I don't recall right now since im not home).
Old July 7, 2009, 01:32 PM
Allstar

Hmm. I'll try that this weekend. I don't think I bothered to load ACHI drivers when I installed XP. I'm pretty sure my BIOS is in IDE mode. I'll check when I get home. All I know is that currently I have a eSATA HDD docking station from thermaltake, and I cannot detect the drive if I plug it into the eSATA slot during runtime. I think it only works if you have there during bootup.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Old July 7, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
Hmm. I'll try that this weekend. I don't think I bothered to load ACHI drivers when I installed XP. I'm pretty sure my BIOS is in IDE mode. I'll check when I get home. All I know is that currently I have a eSATA HDD docking station from thermaltake, and I cannot detect the drive if I plug it into the eSATA slot during runtime. I think it only works if you have there during bootup.
then you only have the ide storage driver in not the ahci driver. i have a hot-swappable on my htpc and all i have to do is plug in the drive to the e-sata which connects to a internal sata port and bang you now have an external driver at full speed ahead.
If you do big file transfers ahci makes a big difference ( and I do )
any help need just ask
Old July 7, 2009, 01:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you can run e-sata with the ide just every time you want the drive you have to turn off the computer. if you just unplug an e-sata drive well in ide mode the computer can and probable will crash. pluging a e-sata drive in and out under ide mode requires a re-boot.( just to clear things up )
Old July 7, 2009, 02:18 PM
Allstar

Gigabyte says hot-swap is not available in XP for ICH9 southbridges, so I guess I'm out of luck until I decide to switch to win7:

Quote:
To enable hot plug capability for the SATA connectors controlled by the ICH9 South Bridge, you must install Windows Vista (on ICH9, hot plug is supported in Windows Vista only) and configure the SATA connectors for AHCI mode. (Refer to manual Chapter 2, "BIOS Setup," "Integrated Peripherals," for details on enabling AHCI.)
GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 2.0)

So to get eSATA to work, you need compatible OS and mobo chipsets.

I am aware that it works in IDE mode with a reboot, but that kinda defeats the purpose of hotswapping. I just use USB mode instead for convenience since my docking station supports both interfaces.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Old July 7, 2009, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

yes only the ich9r or ich10r will do it.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i have a asus p5k p35 chipset that is ich9 and have been thinking of trying it on it. Heard that it can work with a hack bios. i really just don't have the coin to be getting some extra parts i would need to do it. well if i get around to it this summer then i will post something until then sorry can't help you there.