Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 3, 2009, 07:44 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Don't get me wrong Ogdin...I'm all about the bottom line too. But when I can get the top of the line TY for 43 cents a disc....or less, why bother with the crap media which is only a few pennies cheaper?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 3, 2009, 08:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

right now i'm using sony dvd+r accucore rw, they seem to be good, they were free from a friend so i can't complain. :)

Old July 3, 2009, 08:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogdin View Post
I'm a loyal buyer of one brand only,and thats the cheapest one in the store. :)
After burning something 3 times to have one of them work it is false economy to use crappy media.

It was pissing me off having to do something 3 times to get one proper result. I switched to Verbatim and now each burn is a successful one.
Old July 3, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
TY and only TY.
Maxell and Memorex don't make their own discs. They are rebadges. Why pay more for a brand...which may not be as good quality as it used to be? IIRC both of them are now mainly Ritek rebadged shite. This excludes their expensive stuff which is archival quality, that is usually MAM-E’s best. Good stuff (cheaper mame is crap)…. BUT $$$.

For ALL "branded media" look on the label and see where they are made. Made in Japan = MCC or TY. Made in India = Moser Bauer shite (though can be good depedning on the line, more of a toss up with MII). Made in Taiwan is Ritek crap, Prodisc crap....or might be Optodisc (which may or may not suck).

Basically there are two brands which are any good and are affordable. Taiyo Yuden and MCC. Verbatium may or may not be MCC nowadays, Look at the label, IF its MIJ its MCC and made in MCC factory. MIT = MCC dyes make in Ritek, CMC or Prodisc factories under contract. While decent they still suck in comparison to real MCC. MII = Made In India. Moser Bauer Corp. Decent to bad depending on the batch. Also uses MCC dye under contract.

As for + vs. - it all depends on what burner you have and what reader you have. The reader doesn't matter much any more as its about the same for both nowadays. IF you have a -R consortium mfg'ers burner it will prefer -R as that is what mot of the firmware is refined for. IF +R...same thing except it will prefer +Rs. I prefer the +R as its a slightly better standard (+RW blows -RW out of the water) and that is what my burners prefer. If your burners prefer –R…feed it –R!

(This is the Coles notes version and not exactly totally correct…. but close enough w/ out 30pages to explain “properly”)
So why bother with one over the other? Better burns = longer life. All burned dvds decay. Pressed DVDs are metal with holes poked in it and they don’t decay. Writeable DVDs are a kludge in that your laser makes clear dye in the unused disc opaque, so that the reader laser (lower power) can read the difference and understand what is a 0 and what is a 1.

So the name of the game is lower PIE and PIFS. That’s Parity Inner Error and Parity Inner Failure. NO POFS (any parity outer errors are not acceptable IMHO as they are multiple failure!). These are correctable errors which happen. PIEs are in the data, PIFs are in the error correction for the data. As time goes by they increase in number as the dye decay. Good DVDs use a long life dye…cheaper companies use cheaper dyes but all decay. Depending on how you store them (out of the light, cool temps, low humidity the best) is how long they will last BUT good dye will give you more wiggle room!

Depending on your burner and how it tests (1 bit vs 8bit) when you test it will spit back numbers at you. The lower the PIF and POF the better. Mine are 8bit now and I like to see 0.1avg at the most for PIEs and under 200 (at the MOST) of PIFs. 0 POFS or it’s a coaster. When I was using Plextor which used the more precise but now oddball 1bit scheme. 0.1 was not acceptable and a liked to see 0.02avg. at the MOST (.02 x 8bits = 0.16avg in a 8bit burner). I won’t get into Jitter but the less difference and the close to a graphed flat line the better (usually!). These are extremley conservative numbers. Anyhting below 4.0 avg PIE is a consider a good burn by the specs! But you really want the PIE to be under 1...Like I said I'm ultra conservative. BUT with good media my numbers are not only doable but routine!

Test at least at 8x speed. Higher the speed the more conservative the number becomes (reader Has less time to mess with marginal pits and fails them). CDSpeed2000 is a good program to use for testing your burns quality but you may have to hack the registry as a couple mfg’ers DON’T want you to use it for whatever reason. If you have a liteon burner you may not be able to trust its results as some models were very liberal in their burn testing and passed stuff which should have been a fail. I don’t like Liteon burners so I can’t give more detail than that.

You will find that your burner will prefer a certain type, brand and speed. I used Plextor burners and Benqs now I use Samsung @ 16x w/ TY T04 +Rs. YMMV

The best place I have found for cheap and GOOD media is http://www.blankmedia.ca
The last time i bought DVD's was from FS...about 2-1/2 years ago. Maxells and Memorex. Got them in 2 different sales for $35/100 and $ 30/100...my Dad and i went in on, and split 700. Rarely ever any coasters, and we never have any problems with compatablility/playability(that includes others as well ).
Old July 3, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks a lot AkG for the Coles Notes... that was a lot more understandable than any else I have read about it anywhere on the Internet.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hall Of Fame

Why would ANYONE pay a huge markup and premium for blank media from a retail store is BEYOND me.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:14 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I buy the Ridata stuff from Canada Computers and rarely do I see any coasters.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 3, 2009, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I buy the Ridata stuff from Canada Computers and rarely do I see any coasters.
Ridata and Taiyo are both good.

I prefer Ridata for my data cds.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I only purchase them when they're on sale for like $20 to $30 for 100 discs. All the CD and DVD brands I used so far seem to be problem free, so I'll just continue with the Memorex and Maxell that I said earlier for DVDs and Ridata for CDs.

I recall reading somewhere that one DVD brand here in North America is actually rebadged Taiyo Yudens. Anyone got ideas on what brand?
Old July 4, 2009, 05:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its a crap shoot with branded media....so ALWAYS check the country its made in! :)
With that being said Maxell, Memorex, Plextor, FujiFilm, Sony, TDK, Apple and few others have used TY....NOT always but sometimes. With some of these MIJ can = MCC not just TY...but thats nit picking ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 4, 2009 at 05:42 AM.