Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2009, 07:09 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Raid Speed Question

I am using a 750 gig for storage and I am running 2 X WD Raptor 74gb drives in Raid 0 for OS. It seems the 74gig raptors can be had for a very frugal price on E-Bay. MY question is this - How much of a difference in speed would there be if I used 4 Raptor 74's in raid 0+1.

I am just guessing, but I would expect a (very) slight decrease in write performance, and a gain in read performance (which is unknown to me).

Any thoughts about this? My new Mobo will have 8 sata ports, and as time goes on having fault tolerance (for OS and storage) seems more and more appealing to me (so I will likely implement this regardless of any performance differences )
Old July 2, 2009, 08:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, it change from a rig to another. Most of the time we have notice result like 2 second less on boot and that's pretty all. I think it won't worth the price of 2 new V-raptor.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

he's not using V raptors, but first gen raptors (74 GB)

i think martin has a good point re: CPU speed and chipset speeds having a huge factor. The biggest factor may be the drives themselfes in your scenario. Case in point would be the new WD blacks vs the first gen raptors. I dont know how cheep you can get the raptor 74's but if there is parity between the price of the 74's you find on ebay vs some new WD blacks (640 GB for example) you will get a bigger speed boost using 2 new blacks in mirror mode vs 4 74GB raptors in 0+1.

Last edited by grinder; July 2, 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I plan to buy them used. I am hoping to get them for 100 a pair (not unreasonable with a week or two or waiting, though It could cost 120-130 or perhaps less. I do not have an ebay account atm so I merely glances and speculated). I think I am growing up, as I am more interested in the fail-safe aspect (as opposed to when I started raid 0 like 2 years ago? :)

My upgrade path looks like this atm - new Mobo (in sig) this month. Custom case mods - hard core air ducting and ventilation - the case will be cut, welded and modded. I want to really try and see what air can do for me, plus I really enjoy working with metal. New CPU - perhaps E8400 and likely new ram (unless this old mushkin overclocks nicely - the timings were super tight and seemed to make my computer much quicker and more responsive when I OC'd the ram before. I think I was running like around 800 with the timings tighter than stock - on a $50 POS mainboard (Ironic since it treated me much better than my ASUS has). If that seems good I may grab another 2 gigs. I am only running XP, so its not bad for what I do). I hope to grab a cpu and ram before or during Sept. Next thing - RAID 1 large storage disks. - likely start with 2 and then grab 2 more after. I guess when I grab 2 storage drives I should really do some testing and compare.

Also I have only ever used half the space on my OS drive :)