Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 1, 2009, 06:02 PM
Allstar

Default Seagate 500GB died need rma advise

I purchased this back in Jan before I heard about the firmware issues ...

Long story short ... no longer boots and mobo can't find the hdd.

The store I purchased it from says I could give them 13$ and they will return it to Seagate BUT if I do it this way, it will take about 2 months.

The store tells me if I fill out a request online at seagate and mail it out myself, it should take about 2 weeks.

I don't have much experience with RMA's ... looking for advise :help:
Old July 1, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I just RMAed a couple of their 320 drives,I would just RMA it back to seagate the RMA possess is pretty painless with them no invoice's or serials needed. Just apply online and they will send you out the shipping info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 1, 2009, 06:39 PM
Allstar

OK, I'll try that thanks
Old July 1, 2009, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

WTHell they take about two month for RMA? lol! Seagate have a pretty good service and they know about this issue so they are realy helping you. Just send it by yourself doing the RMA with the internet form. It will take 1 1/2 week to 3 week to receive the new one wich will be a 7200.11 refurbished with a new working BIOS ( 7200.12 bios ) and the rest of your 3 years warranty. Seagate get down to 3years for every disk purchased after 1 JAN 2009 ( and they still say this have no link with the BIOS issue ) yeah I belive this...

Ask for more I do about 20 of these RMA demand a week so I can help you much

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 2, 2009, 06:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At least your store was honest enough to tell you their "RMA" takes 2 months... My local store just took the drive and gave me badly-written e-mails and demonstrated horrible organization until I argued them to get me a new drive.

+1 to going with Seagate, as I did (with another 500 GB): Canadian RMA Experience

If you were willing to pay $13, you may consider giving $20 to Seagate for "Advance Replacement", and they'll ship you a replacement immediately. You can then use the box that they gave you to ship your buggy drive back to Seagate. (IIRC the postage is prepaid on the return shipment). This is useful if you don't have their approved packaging.
Old July 2, 2009, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 Frontier204

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 2, 2009, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
At least your store was honest enough to tell you their "RMA" takes 2 months... My local store just took the drive and gave me badly-written e-mails and demonstrated horrible organization until I argued them to get me a new drive.

+1 to going with Seagate, as I did (with another 500 GB): Canadian RMA Experience

If you were willing to pay $13, you may consider giving $20 to Seagate for "Advance Replacement", and they'll ship you a replacement immediately. You can then use the box that they gave you to ship your buggy drive back to Seagate. (IIRC the postage is prepaid on the return shipment). This is useful if you don't have their approved packaging.
yes it is,i just did a RMA with a 500gb drive, was approx. 1 week till i had a new drive.

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old July 2, 2009, 02:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The Advanced RMA is the best.... I had a new drive in 36 hours, plus prepaid shipping back.