Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2009, 11:53 AM
MVP

Default anybody using a Vertex as boot drive?

Hello to all - just curious if anybody is using an OCZ vertex 30gb as a boot drive, and how you like it? these are running around teh $150 range and I am interested in trying it, but: as it is designed for laptops, are there any issues, like does it just plug in to the sata ports on the mobo, or does it need a special cable or anything?
I love a fast booting computer and so this is what I am thinking of for the next time I have a little bit of hobby money - your thoughts?
NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 30GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX30G In Canada.
Old June 20, 2009, 12:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

1. I use a Gskill 64Gb as a OS drive.
2. I love it (eventhough this particular drive sucks, eg. stuttering issues)
3. There are very little issues with SSD drives....They are SILENT!Also, Google is your friend...
4. They connect via SATA... just like most other drives... It's plug and play

IMHO....AWESOME IDEA.... However you may find that 30Gb is a little small for any OS. I think a 60Gb drive will suit you a lot better! Stay with the Vertex, as it is a wicked drive!
Old June 20, 2009, 12:42 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I use a SDD drive for my Fold rig, a 30Gb too. With Vista Premium fully updated and no other major apps installed, the size is 17Gb. I'd rather recommend a 60-64Gb SDD as an OS drive.
Old June 20, 2009, 01:07 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

60 is about as small as I would go. That being said I'm running a 120 Vertex in one of my rigs right now ;)
Update it to FW 1.1 (if necessary) and then 1.3, and occasionally run the TRIM program (aka wiper.exe) and you will be golden. No stutters, no slows downs....pure speed.

With all that being said take a look at the G.Skill Falcon and Patriot Torqx. BOTH are the same as the Vertex. Same chips, same ram same controller. Just different label on the outside of the metal case. Pick the cheapest if cost is your number 1 priority ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 20, 2009, 02:17 PM
MVP

Well that bumps it up in price a little, $259 for the summit 60gb, $280 for the vertex. Still not too bad though, I might have to give it a try after pay day. Thanks for the responses. Npw to research teh G skill and the Patriot a little more. Funny tho all the talk is of the intel or the vertex.
Old June 20, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

G.Skill Falcon and Patriot Torqx are more recently released SSDs. The reason for the Vertex vs X-25M is because OCZ was the first to use the Indi' made barefoot controller in the mainstream marketplace. Since then G.SKill and Patriot have moved away from JM controllers and gone with the barefoot controller as well. Give it time and you will probably see others enter the market with their own Vertex clone ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr