Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2009, 06:21 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default G.Skill Falcon 128GB SSD Review Comment Thread

Its been awhile in the making, but after numerous tests, a firmware update coming out requiring us to REtest everything and all round having way too much fun playing/testing/using this amazing piece of kit our take on it is ready for you our readers to enjoy. Please feel free to give us your take on this item, review or for that matter....anything else!

To read our review on the Falcon click here: FALCON

We hope you enjoy reading the review as much as we had in doing it!
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would definitely snatch this up than the Intel SSD for sure. It performs well beyond what I thought it would. Thank god for that. Indilinx has got it right, and like you said, I'm sure a couple firmware fixes may fix the small discrepancies seen during the review period. And for the price? You really can't go wrong.

By far this review was probably the best I've seen come from you AkG, with the Storage Device category. Your work on these can definitely be seen.

I'll be going down the SSD route by the end of the year when the new JMicron controllers enter the market. This should drive current costs down a bit.
Old June 15, 2009, 08:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thank you very much for this review. The falcon has virtually no reviews around the web, Ive been hoping a site would do one for a while.

Amazingly enough, it was not 'a' site to do it, but 'THE' site ;)

gj!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 15, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I see the Apex listed, did you not have access to a vertex? Or was it not included because more or less they are identical drives and 'should' preform with the same numbers?
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 15, 2009, 09:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Is the other G.Skill SSD in the benchmarks the 64gb Falcon drive?

Old June 15, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
Is the other G.Skill SSD in the benchmarks the 64gb Falcon drive?
No. If you look at the graphs you can tell by the performance that the 64GB G.Skill SSD uses the crappy JMicron 602 controller. Don't even compare the two drives.
Old June 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles View Post
No. If you look at the graphs you can tell by the performance that the 64GB G.Skill SSD uses the crappy JMicron 602 controller. Don't even compare the two drives.
I figured as much, but the reviewer didn't post the name of the model benchmarked in his testing methodology.

Old June 15, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
I see the Apex listed, did you not have access to a vertex? Or was it not included because more or less they are identical drives and 'should' preform with the same numbers?
Keep checking the review page everyday....you might find what you are looking for soooooon ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth View Post
I figured as much, but the reviewer didn't post the name of the model benchmarked in his testing methodology.
Hi Synth, the 64GB model was the very first SSD HWC reviewed. It was a SLC drive and doesn't have a name...it predates G.Skill nameing their SSDs. The model numeber is / was FS-25S2-64GB and here is a link to our review of it and the mfger's page. For the next review I'll add in a note at the bottom.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 15, 2009, 12:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Hi Synth, the 64GB model was the very first SSD HWC reviewed. It was a SLC drive and doesn't have a name...it predates G.Skill nameing their SSDs. The model numeber is / was FS-25S2-64GB and here is a link to our review of it and the mfger's page. For the next review I'll add in a note at the bottom.
Thanks for the clarification !

I actually had a 64gb Falcon drive in my NCIX cart, and was spooked by the review... I can now buy in peace.

Great writeup by the way

Old June 15, 2009, 01:31 PM
Rookie

No mention of power consumption?