Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 20, 2009, 02:04 PM
Rookie

The review says the OCZ wiper worked on the falcon. OCZ newest wiper is 0525. So this will work on the falcon? (i think the review mentioned a different version)
Old June 20, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

There are now 3 revisions to the wiper program (its still beta and being tweaked). At the time of writing this, there were only two versions I was aware of. I can say (as I run it all the time) that also as of now All versions including the latest 525 of the wiper.exe work on the Falcon....and most likely will work on ANY fw 1.1 (or greater) Barefoot controller based SSD.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 20, 2009, 10:08 PM
MVP

Nooby here, what does the wiper do?
Old June 21, 2009, 05:56 AM

The simplfied answer is it is a beta program which restores speed to the drive. All SSDs slow down (SLC less than MLC...but lets keep it simple) as they are used. The wiper.exe helps to restore this lost speed.

The simplflied complex answer is Wiper.exe is a program that calls a partial TRIM command. Its a bit of a kludge / work around where no MS OS is TRIM aware, and in some ways its not "TRUE" TRIM command program as it has to be manually run and doesn't allow the controller to instantly manage any deleted pages in the data blocks with an instantaneous TRIM call in the future. BUT to me this is all moot as it does work and it only works on Indi' barefoot based SSDs. Intel and Samsung can complain all they want about it not being a true TRIM program and claim its nothing more than a "specialized defragmentation tool" but to me this rings false and sounds a lot like the same FUD AMD fanbois were spewing when Intel released the first Quad core to stomp the X2s.

For a full understanding of why this program is such a game changer and why Intel and Samsung better get off their laurels PDQ you should read the anad article on SSDs..or atleast this page I've directly linked to:

AnandTech: The SSD Anthology: Understanding SSDs and New Drives from OCZ

and then head on over to the OCZ forum (yea I know...NOT G.Skill's which is suffering from a lack of native english speaking mods right now...sigh) and read up on the wiper.exe:
Discussion TRIM beta test...32BIT windows looks 100%, 64Bit windows now 90%+ OK.UPDATE 28-05-09 Wiper 0525 uploaded for test - OCZ Forum

Hope this helps :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; June 21, 2009 at 06:05 AM.
Old June 21, 2009, 11:08 AM
MVP

Thanks - looks like i better clean off my glasses and settle in for a good read!
Old June 22, 2009, 03:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The beef I have with Gskills is their forums. Not allowing new users to download the updated firmware and their TRIM program is simply ridiculous. (need to register and apparently be "approved" by moderators)

I just bought a 64gb version of the Falcon a few days ago, and referred all to OCZ forums. Come to think of it, it's a bloody shame.

However I still do recommend this drive to anyone out there. Very good out of the box with some basic wipes done through windows. 1370 firmware works just fine. But now to buy more RAM since paging is disabled

Good review by the way, very informative read.

Zephyranthes
E8400 4.0ghz, XFX 780i, Mushkin XP2 PC-6400, Antec Earthwatts 750W

Old June 22, 2009, 06:26 AM
Rookie

AKG, is it possible to update the falcon within dos? My laptop only has one hard drive bay.
Old June 22, 2009, 10:08 AM

At this time it appears G.Skill is behind OCZ on how to do minor updates. It should have been as easy as OCZ but it is not. You have to do it the hard way. I was tempted to withhold the DGV award BUT as they all come with TRIM support right out of the box and the 1571 is a minor update (unless one of the fix is an issue with your system ;) ) I couldn't in all fairness as the positives still outweighed the negatives.
With that being said there is a thread on the G.Skill forum which may help you as you are not alone!
firmware upgrade instructions - GSKILL TECH FORUM

I still would recommend yanking and doing it via a 2ndary PC as I do (my laptop for example only has 1 hdd bay as well) but this might get you through if you only have the one system.

Old June 22, 2009, 02:33 PM
Top Prospect

The indilinx drives are still not up to snuff, people stating they are better then the intel drives right now are head in the clouds or burried in the sand. With the requirements of firmware updates and constant use of the wiper.exe to restore performance to the drive, how can anyone say that is better? Fragmentation is still a big issue with the indilinx controllers, one which many reviewers seem to overlook compared to HD tach throughput scores. This is where the intel and samsung drives are still ahead, but the progress ocz and co are making with indilinx is very good. Hopefully they can get away with having to rely on user run 'cleanups' and quote some reliable performance numbers.

Win7 is somewhat trim aware, but indilinx has disabled ATA trim support as the standard isn't finalized yet. People hate links to other rewview sites but pcper did a very thurough article on the indilinx drives that explain some of these often overlooked 'features'.

This is not a hate on indilinx, they're just not the tops some proclaim them to be.
Old June 22, 2009, 02:47 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post

The new JM controller is coming out in a few and IF (and its a HUGE frickin "IF") they can finally live up to their PR dept.'s hype....it should push prices down on all the others. Though it may end up not being trusted by the companies and end up as a mid teir replacement (i.e. replace the Raid 0'ed JM602s like the Titan and Apex). JM's cred took a big hit over the JM602b's issue and not everyone will be jumping on the bandwagon w/ their flagship models. This is just a hunch and it all depends on the price per 1000 of the new JMs (and how big a hit JM is willing to take to get back in the game)...AND how many companies are willing to take (another) chance on 'em.
The Jmicron 612 ARM controller drives are due out late August IIRC. People laugh at jmicron for the studdering crap 601 and 602b controllers, but most don't know that they are one of the largest SATA controller manufacturers out there, and have been one of the big reasons for price drops with SATA spec controllers or drives through life history. When the 612 gets released (they're well aware of past mistakes) it won't be the king of the hill but it will be running at the value / good buy performance levels and more importantly price. By nature of the middle market dropping in value, it also decreases prices in the higher eschelon brackets.

The other nice potential boon for this that I think others should adapt is the onboard USB interface. While it is kind of a niche option, it makes a rotational > ssd hard drive swap pretty dam easy.

Good re-review overall, sorry for the double posts but one big wall of quote and text makes everyone cringe ;)