Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2009, 02:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baov View Post
No mention of power consumption?
For the majority of SSD comparisons (i.e. a X SSD vs Y SSD) the difference will be minor. At one extreme end is the Intel X-25M 80GB which is rated @ 1A on the 5v line (IIRC) so its 5 watts. This is considered an extreme powerhog by SSD standards. At the other are the 30gbs which are (usually) in the .35A range or 1.75watts. The Falcon 128GB is rated @ .55A or 2.75 watts. This is more realistic of most modern high end, "large" (12xGB) SSDs, as most will fall in the .5 - .6A range. Hope this info helps...but even in a laptop on battery scenario I wouldn't recommend picking one SSd over another 'cause of a watt.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 17, 2009, 09:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Nice Review AKG.

I wonder if its almost time to say its worth it for me and grab a Falcon.
Longevity wise, you think they are getting on Par with a Heavily Used OS Directory Patter Drive?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 17, 2009, 09:46 AM

That is the 6 million dollar question ST. Right now no one really knows how long MLC based SSDs will last in the real world....but I doubt if most will fail in the 3 - 5 yr "normal" lifespan of a HDD. This is one area of computers where things are changing so fast its hard to say when enough is "good enough", BUT the Barefoot controller based SSDs seem to be a safe bet. In all honesty I'd pick a Falcon/Vertex/Torqx over any SSD out there right now....with the excption of the Vertex SE (which is SLC). The TRIM program really is that big of a game changer. This added in with the fact that the The Indilinix SSDs wear leveling is considered to be very "soft" and thus gentler on the ML cells than earlier drives is a win IMHO. I think if you pick a Falcon/Vertex/Torqx you will not be disapointed BUT like all bleeding edge devices only time will tell on the longevity end of things.

For what its worth, I'm running one in my rig right now and trust it to keep my review notes, write ups and pics safe. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 17, 2009, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I never ask the easy questions AkG , but one has to admit its a valid point.
Heck I am Still Using my Hitachi Deskstar in my folding Rig, and I have a Fujitisu 6.4GB kept in a 478 build that is entrusted with more info than any main rig.
So far thanks to your Help my friends SSD's are humming away quite nicely.

Its good to hear that these new ones seem to have a longer life.
I know bleeding edge is hard sometimes, but I want something to finally silence and replace my vanuted Raptors.
Seeing your review might have just sealed the deal.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old June 17, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Heck I am Still Using my Hitachi Deskstar in my folding Rig, and I have a Fujitisu 6.4GB kept in a 478 build that is entrusted with more info than any main rig.
Dude. Isnt that drive nicknamed the DEATHstar for a reason?

And a 10-12 year old Fuji? Damn dude, and I thought Skydiving, bungee jumping and being in the army were risky enough. You've got me beat hands down
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 17, 2009, 11:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Dude. Isnt that drive nicknamed the DEATHstar for a reason?

And a 10-12 year old Fuji? Damn dude, and I thought Skydiving, bungee jumping and being in the army were risky enough. You've got me beat hands down
That Fuji has been more reliable than any other Drive I've ever owned.
Its a shame they don't make them like that anymore.

And the Deskstar, although not known for their performance have never given me an issue either.

End of the day, Most of my parts are there for the long haul because I don't upgrade like most people do.
Quality for me is not the first 6 months, but rather the last 5 years.

ST

Old June 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
Top Prospect

I'm actually in the market for one of these :D

Seems to be great, and hoping it'll be worth its
cost in my laptop.

BTW, anyone know if the prices of SSDs will fall dramatically
this winter or Q4 ?
Heard it somewhere the controller prices are going to drop
significantly.
OCZ Vertex 120GB, Kingston V 128GB, Raptor X,
Antec Mini P180 CM UCP 700W
Samsung 240T, 226BW
Logitech G15, Microsoft X8

Watercooled by:
Swiftech Storm Rev.2 , 4870x2 FCB
1xMCP350 w/Petrastops , MCR220 QP , MCRES-MICRO , Tygon 1/2" ID
2 x Scythe Kama Ultra 1000
Old June 17, 2009, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AERo View Post
I'm actually in the market for one of these :D

Seems to be great, and hoping it'll be worth its
cost in my laptop.

BTW, anyone know if the prices of SSDs will fall dramatically
this winter or Q4 ?
Heard it somewhere the controller prices are going to drop
significantly.
I would suspect that the 2nd generation (or 3rd depending on how you view them) of controllers is probably being taped out as we speak. If they are it should force a price drop.

Dont expect a dramatic speed increase. Saturating the SATA2 spec already, plus the fact that flash is (with current tech) just about maxed out for transfer speeds, means the only real method of increase is in RAID tech for the immediate future. And even that is still held back by the SATA2 limit.

I'll do a little digging and talk to a friend of mine in Taiwan and see if I can get a scoop.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old June 17, 2009, 02:39 PM

hmmm I could have sworn I heard that the next gen flash chips were coming down the pipe in the next 6'ish mths. Supposed to double their speed. SATA 3 is just around the corner and you may see companies start gearing up sooner rather than latter. Would be great to totally saturate the SATA 2 bus w/ 1 SSD....AND get speed boost when you upgrade your mobo to a SATA 3 one. Of course, if you wait 6mths ANYTHING bleeding edge will have dropped in price. :)

The new JM controller is coming out in a few and IF (and its a HUGE frickin "IF") they can finally live up to their PR dept.'s hype....it should push prices down on all the others. Though it may end up not being trusted by the companies and end up as a mid teir replacement (i.e. replace the Raid 0'ed JM602s like the Titan and Apex). JM's cred took a big hit over the JM602b's issue and not everyone will be jumping on the bandwagon w/ their flagship models. This is just a hunch and it all depends on the price per 1000 of the new JMs (and how big a hit JM is willing to take to get back in the game)...AND how many companies are willing to take (another) chance on 'em.

Interestingly enough....a 3rd Indinlinx based SSD is out, the Patriot "Torqx" and a 3 way competition w/ price being the biggest selling point may make prices go down PDQ (just like the Falcon kicked the Vertex prices Southward)! Will there be a three way shoot out via a 3rd barefoot SSD review here on HWC? ...you never know ;)

Old June 18, 2009, 10:06 AM
Top Prospect

Well, I'm going from a 3200BEVT (320GB 5400RPM 8MB),
so I'm betting I'll see a difference when I go SSD; hopefully, if not
damn them to hell!
OCZ Vertex 120GB, Kingston V 128GB, Raptor X,
Antec Mini P180 CM UCP 700W
Samsung 240T, 226BW
Logitech G15, Microsoft X8

Watercooled by:
Swiftech Storm Rev.2 , 4870x2 FCB
1xMCP350 w/Petrastops , MCR220 QP , MCRES-MICRO , Tygon 1/2" ID