Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   dual boot how to ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/1891-dual-boot-how.html)

Jim July 12, 2007 07:36 PM

dual boot how to ?

I've a 160 gig hard drive , wanta setup dual boot , xp pro & xp home (why ? long story) need only 20 gig worth for home , hows it done ?
thanks

Supergrover July 12, 2007 09:30 PM

Create 2 partions and install, yes it is that easy with xp, after they are installed when you boot up it will give you a choice of what partion you want to load from.

Jim July 12, 2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supergrover (Post 14154)
Create 2 partions and install, yes it is that easy with xp, after they are installed when you boot up it will give you a choice of what partion you want to load from.

thanks guess I thought the os would get confused or something,guess fdisk should do the partition trick eh ?

JD July 16, 2007 10:43 PM

No its not that easy. You can't really have 2 XP installs...

Whatever one you install last will just take over the other.

If it was XP and Vista it would be easy enough. But dual XP is probably going to need a 3rd party bootloader.

mitchel July 31, 2007 07:13 PM

Does it mean that if I wanna install Xp and Vista I only have to make a new partition and Install Xp on one and Vista on the other then when I'll boot it'll ask me which one I want to boot with?.

Also can I do the above and also use another Disk to save both my Xp and Vista files and installs(games,music and such.)?
Thanks

JD July 31, 2007 09:06 PM

Yup. I do that myself actually. XP on one drive, Vista on the other.

Just make sure XP is installed first and then install Vista. Otherwise it becomes a huge complex mess.

cadaveca July 31, 2007 10:05 PM

Dual BOOT:

UPon first windows installation, create 2 partitions, each of whatever size you like.

Install to the first partition.

Update windows, blah, blah, drivers, blah blah.

Once windows is updated, from your desktop, install windows again(2nd version), selecting the blank partition as the target drive.

UPon starting windows, you should be greated with a "boot loader" that allows you to select which OS you boot to.

If not, go into whatever windows you are "allowed" into.

open an explorer window, and go to "folder options" inside one of the "ALT" menus(TOOLS) at the top of the explorer window.

Inside the folder options, there should be a tab called "VIEW". Select the option "show hidden files and folders". Unselect the option for "hide protected system files" here as well as "show extenesions for known file types", and then press "apply to all folders" at the top of the "option's" "VIEW" window.

Navigate to "C:\"(or whatever letter your harddrive is)

look for "boot.ini", and rightclick it and open using "notepad".

Inside you'll find a long line at the bottom denoting the operating system it's booting from.
Quote:

{boot loader}
timeout=30
default=multidiskrdiskpartition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
Select this entire line, copy it, and then paste it below the original.

If using just a different partition, you'll see this noted in this line you jsut copied. if the exisiting line says "PARTITION 0", then you are booting from your first windows.

IF it says "PARTITION 1", you are booting form the second partition.

Modify the number following "PARTITION" in the line you pasted to the correct partition on which your other windows is located (in hexadecimal, where we start with 0, and not start with 1!!!)

further down that line, you'll see "Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition" or some such drivel. It will be the same on each line(original, and the one you pasted), and the original line is the windows you are currently using, the bottom is the one you first installed, so please feel free to modify whatever is within those "quotes" so you know which OS you are booting from.

In the end, your boot.ini should look like this:
Quote:

{boot loader}
timeout=30
default=multidiskrdiskpartition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Pro Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Save your edited "boot.ini", reboot your pc, et voila! You'll be greated with an option to select which OS to boot, and 30 seconds to do so, when you turn on your pc.

mitchel August 1, 2007 06:02 AM

Ok so in fact it's possible to install both Xp and Vista on one drive and use another drive with 2 partitions 1 for Xp and one for Vista to save my files like music,games etc.
Cool thanks

enaberif August 1, 2007 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchel (Post 15838)
Ok so in fact it's possible to install both Xp and Vista on one drive and use another drive with 2 partitions 1 for Xp and one for Vista to save my files like music,games etc.
Cool thanks

Better to have a whole other drive for music, photos and etc.

cadaveca August 1, 2007 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchel (Post 15838)
Cool thanks

Yes, it's possible, however the steps you must take for Vista/XP are slightly different.

For dualboot XP/ Vista, install XP first, and then Vista from XP desktop. Vista does not use the "boot.ini" file, and installs something else for booting that overrides "boot.ini".

If you happen to install XP AFTER Vista, then you can pop your Vista disk in when first turning on your pc, and running the boot fixer from the Vista DVD.

As mentioned though, it's best to have a seperate drive for each OS.