Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   hdd messed up? how? it just sit there (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/18879-hdd-messed-up-how-just-sit-there.html)

hohohee June 13, 2009 09:06 PM

hdd messed up? how? it just sit there

can internal hdd be defective? but how? it just sit there. it dont move around. just sit inside computer case. how is it mess up? my hdd seems to mess up all the sudden and i dont get how. it just sit there.

im not even sure if my hdd is really messing up or not.

heres my situation:
i put my comp to sleep. resume and black out hearing patterned noise inside computer case then few hours work. then put comp sleep again..... resume.... and freeze at login screen then few min it work. then while playing games.... freeze.... forever. force shut down. press power to boot.... it boot up but only to black screen saying disk read error and it still like this. cant use this comp anymore.

so i pull out the hdd.... while it still connect to the comp and power on... i can feel the noise and vibration on the hdd. so is this mes sup hdd? or my power supply?

if its really hdd mess up.... how do i recover the stuff on that hdd to new hdd?

reaverclan June 13, 2009 09:47 PM

if you think your drive is dying then download an iso of parted magic and boot into it when your pc starts, then back up all your important stuff to some dvd's or an external drive, and have parted magic do a disc scan or have windows do it. heres the link to what i mean News. oh and what is the drive? is it a seagate TB? if so how many platters does it have?

saltyvinegar June 25, 2009 04:29 PM

You could also download Speedfan and run a disk analysis. This will show you which SMART counters have risen and possibly what's wrong with the drive. You can do a free online analysis and compare it with other identical drives to see how it compares and get a health rating.

Arinoth June 25, 2009 04:40 PM

You could also go to your manufacter's website and get their own diagnostic software and run it to see if your drive is starting to pooch itself

ripken204 June 27, 2009 05:15 PM

definitely run some diagnostic software.

and just because the drive is not moving on the outside, does not mean that it does not move on the inside..
its a disk that rotates at 7200rpm.

frontier204 June 28, 2009 12:07 PM

All traditional HDDs have moving parts, so I can't comment if the vibrations you felt off the HDD is normal or not. (for example, the older WD Raptors I used at work would vibrate enough that you can hear your computer from 4 metres away)
One thing I noticed however is that failing hard disks seem to get much hotter than ones in working order (but you can only check this if you have 2 identical disks mounted in similar ways).
Heat can also kill HDDs, which is why they actually log the highest and lowest temperature they've experienced while running.

If these problems you experience are indeed caused by the HDD, there's no question that one of the SMART or manufacturer's testing programs will fail. Be sure to check the cables before running tests.

van July 4, 2009 04:16 PM

As stated, hard drives have moving parts and is prone to failure as other components, even if you don't physically move it. Even SSD's which don't have any moving parts at all, do fail.

A good sign of a failing hard drive is if you hear "clicking" noises. If that is the case, I would backup your important data and RMA the hard drive ASAP.