Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 8, 2009, 07:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Cavalry Storage Pelican 64GB External SSD Comment Thread

Its been awhile since we have looked at any storage device marketed for the external market. Actually, this is the first item we have ever reviewed which can be used internally OR externally without the need for any additional parts (like a case and USB controller for instance!). While it may find a niche in the Road Warrior market the Cavalry Storage Pelican 64GB External SSD did not win our hearts and minds. With that being said YOU may think its the best thing since sliced breed,and fit your needs perfectly! It really is that niche of a product.

To read our take on the Cavalry Storage Pelican 64GB External SSD Review click here: Pelican

Hope you enjoy the review,
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old June 8, 2009, 07:31 AM
Allstar

Default No Cavalry Storage Pelican comment thread?

I was looking for the comment thread for this review and can't seem to find it.

Anyways, the only issue I have about the review is that there was not one external drive benchmarked for comparison. I am really surprised as this drive is being marketed as external storage. I would really like to see how this performs agains't a 2.5" drive connected via usb. I also wouldn't mind seeing how it performs against some of the faster usb sticks. I use a 2.5" external hd in the Vantec enclosures for work quite frequently and would like to see if there are any advantages to going with the SSD.

Thanks

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N

Last edited by SKYMTL; June 8, 2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hi Nodscene,
I lost internet connection this morning and only have gotten it back now. A comment thread will be up soon ;)

As for your comments, we tested it against one of the fastest SLC flash based thumbdrives we had available. The 4GB OCZ Turbo is the fastest of that line and right up there with the best. The Pelican really isn't designed to compete against a dual bay RAID'ed external storage unit for example, rather its a stow n go kit for people who need more room than a thumbdrive, or want something more flexible than the ubiquitous USB drive but mainly its for durability. A 2.5" HDD is a fragile beast in comparison to any SSD and just can't compete. As for speed it really is a toss up as you are going to be limited by the ancient USB 2.0 standard. IF random access is a concern this device will eat any HDD (2.5 or 3.5) out there.

Unfortunately, the Pelican is not just marketed as an external storage device. Its advertised as a dual purpose unit that can be used internally or externally, thus we picked the fastest USB drive we had to compare it to and the SSDs we have on hand. We have not looked at any 2.5" external storage units in the past and thus have none to compare it to. Sorry.

Right now I would have a hard time recommending ANY SSD for storage purposes as they are just to darn expensive on a GB per $ basis. Since you have asked for details on external storage, a category which we haven't looked at in awhile due to perceived lack of interest I'll bring it to SKYMTL's attention and see what we can do for you and obviously other like mined people. :)

Once again thank you for your valuable input, and all I ask is BE VOCAL! In a lot of ways its a guessing game for what we think people want to read about. If you have any other pieces of kit you want see reviewed let us know! No guarantees but you never know? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
I was looking for the comment thread for this review and can't seem to find it.

Anyways, the only issue I have about the review is that there was not one external drive benchmarked for comparison. I am really surprised as this drive is being marketed as external storage. I would really like to see how this performs agains't a 2.5" drive connected via usb. I also wouldn't mind seeing how it performs against some of the faster usb sticks. I use a 2.5" external hd in the Vantec enclosures for work quite frequently and would like to see if there are any advantages to going with the SSD.

Thanks

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by SKYMTL; June 8, 2009 at 07:55 AM.
Old June 8, 2009, 03:52 PM
Allstar

Thanks AkG, I must have been blind and not seen the the USB drive comparison. I'll have to check out the review again.

I personally don't find 2.5" external drives very fragile. I carry one around in my backpack at all times and I'm not always too carefull with it :) So far I haven't had one go sour on me yet. Since I do tech support for different companies I'm in and out of my car a lot during the day so it gets a lot of action. Knock on wood.

One of the reasons I'm so curious is that I'd be using the drive for program installs and also need to do year end acronis backups of servers etc. Thus faster and more robust drives would be helpfull. I don't know if too many other people will have the same needs as myself though so I don't blame you guys for thinking there is a lack of interest. Chances are you are probably right. The price isn't all that bad either really, $150 for 64gigs would be do-able from a business standpoint as that would be enough space for 90+% of my clients needs.

Thanks again for a great review.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 25, 2009, 04:50 PM
Rookie

Doing installs and backups would work great on a SSD. The slowdown occurs when data needs to be shuffled about such as on a system drive. If you copy your apps over neatly and just read from the drive for an install it should be really fast. When doing backups you could run into some slowdowns because the SSD doesn't erase the content of the disk when you delete it. Overwriting should go over smoothly though since it's not random access.