Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 29, 2009, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Question SATA detection problem and do you have to format it absolutely on a new controller

Hi, I am at work now so if you need more info , I can give it to you later tonight. And....French Canadian friend here so be patient.

Motherboard ASUS M3N72-D (750i sli) with HDMI, onboard sata , 6 ports.
HDD Seagate 750 GB, I believe 7200 something...the regular one that you buy at Tiger Direct.
AMD Dual Core 3.1 GHZ 64 bit

So this is just a 5 month old Mobo, I have in IDE a Maxtor hd old of 6 yrs old and this seagate connected via SATA, both had been working perfectly for 5 months. I installed Windows 7 on the IDE and Vista 64 on sata but both were working perfectly for a long time. And all of a sudden, I started the pc and in the dual boot, it would not want to boot in Vista via SATA. It said it could not find winload.exe. Then I googled that and I put the vista cd, repaired it. It found another OS of Windows 7, windows.old, that I had removed on the IDE, same partition as the new Windows 7. It did not find Vista on the sata.
then I googled some more, entered in command prompt via the vista cd these commands,
  • BOOTREC /FIXMBR
    • Operation completed successfully
  • BOOTREC /FIXBOOT
    • Operation completed successfully
  • BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD
After that, the dual boot gave me 2 windows 7, the vista option was gone since it could not detect the HD at all.

So even before or after, i checked the bios, looked to load the sata drivers from the vista cd for the seagate HD, I reinstalled Vista only in case Windows 7 was causing this, i think I tried everything, changed the sata and power cables too.

So I went to a specialized store to buy a sata controller pci card since I didnt want to bring the pc in for repair, I thought the sata ports were dead. No time to play with the warranty and call ASUS.

The guy said it should detect the hard drive like plug and play but so far it didn't, so what I am doing wrong? it even installed a bios for the raid drivers, I dont know much about RAID at all...it says on the paper that it can install a RAID bios and a non raid bios but it installed it by itself without giving me the choice. When I reboot, it gives me almost the obligaation to go into that bios but if i wait, i can go into vista again. The new vista, not the old one. but it seems to me like I have to format the HDD to detect it or is there a way to recuperate all my data without formatting? how about a USB enclosure, do they exist for 3.5 disks? I guess they do.

So...I do not want to format that drive, there are like 5 options in the SATA bios but I am afraid to format it as I have no idea what they do, the instructions in the box mean nothing to me. I paid 55$ for this sata controller, it better be good. Silicon Image is the brand.

Ok thanks very much if you can help.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
So...I do not want to format that drive, there are like 5 options in the SATA bios but I am afraid to format it as I have no idea what they do, the instructions in the box mean nothing to me. I paid 55$ for this sata controller, it better be good. Silicon Image is the brand.
I'd suggest returning it since that's way overpriced for Silicon Image. You can grab one off NCIX for like $20. And especially if it isn't the problem...

When your Seagate is plugged into the motherboard, does it show up in the BIOS? If so, you definitely don't need that RAID card.

And in Windows 7, are you able to see the drive that Vista on it? If not, right click "Computer" in the start menu, "Manage", "Disk Management". See if the Vista drive is there, if so initialize it and assign it a drive letter.

Once you've done that, grab EasyBCD and use it to add Vista to the bootloader. Then you should be set to go.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:38 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
I'd suggest returning it since that's way overpriced for Silicon Image. You can grab one off NCIX for like $20. And especially if it isn't the problem...

When your Seagate is plugged into the motherboard, does it show up in the BIOS? If so, you definitely don't need that RAID card.

And in Windows 7, are you able to see the drive that Vista on it? If not, right click "Computer" in the start menu, "Manage", "Disk Management". See if the Vista drive is there, if so initialize it and assign it a drive letter.

Once you've done that, grab EasyBCD and use it to add Vista to the bootloader. Then you should be set to go.
Thanks very much...there was one cheaper at around 25 there but he said it was for esata only...but I might return it yes...
When Seagate is plugged it is not detected in the bios or in any of the Windows Explorer I had at the time, I removed windows 7 to have only vista on the IDE drive now but nothing has changed. Also I have 6 sata ports onboard but in the bios I only see 4 so this is why I thought there was a problem there, and yes sata is enabled in the only place I have found in the bios. I disabled it and re enabled it several times.

i didnt try the disk management thing so I will check that tonight, thanks
will check EasyBCD as well and get back later tonight with results. If that doesnt work can I retrieve the data with a USB enclosure to make it plug and play without booting on it? I think I will never use Outlook again, i cant back up my emails when things like these happen... but I also have 500gb of movies only half backed up.....LOL
thanks

edit: I guess that the drive cant be dead, it is warm and it vibrates.
Old May 29, 2009, 07:38 PM
Rookie

Disk Management didn't work either, it doesn't see the Seagate drive at all...I will go into the raid bios and name the options there.
Old May 29, 2009, 08:06 PM
Rookie

OK the choices in the raid bios are

Create Raid set
Delete Raid set
Rebuild Raid1 set
Resolve conflicts, it says no conflicts
Low Level Format
Logical DRive Info. no info at all is given...

I dont want to create or delete anything, I am afraid to lose the data on the drive, anyone knows what will happen if I do those things?
thanks again
Old May 29, 2009, 08:17 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
OK the choices in the raid bios are

Create Raid set
Delete Raid set
Rebuild Raid1 set
Resolve conflicts, it says no conflicts
Low Level Format
Logical DRive Info. no info at all is given...

I dont want to create or delete anything, I am afraid to lose the data on the drive, anyone knows what will happen if I do those things?
thanks again
DO NOT do any of that. Your drive will be promptly formatted. And well those options should not effect the hard drive from being detected. I have one of those cheap RAID cards and it works fine without building a RAID set, I had 2 drives connected to it just normally.

Have you tried different ports on the motherboard? I'd take a guess and say 2 of them are on a secondary SATA controller (probably the black ones). I'd use the red ports.

However I have a feeling your hard drive might be dead. Seagate Knowledge Base At this point, I'm thinking it's best to follow through with that and contact them about data recovery.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
DO NOT do any of that. Your drive will be promptly formatted. And well those options should not effect the hard drive from being detected. I have one of those cheap RAID cards and it works fine without building a RAID set, I had 2 drives connected to it just normally.

Have you tried different ports on the motherboard? I'd take a guess and say 2 of them are on a secondary SATA controller (probably the black ones). I'd use the red ports.

However I have a feeling your hard drive might be dead. Seagate Knowledge Base At this point, I'm thinking it's best to follow through with that and contact them about data recovery.
I tried 4 or 5 of the 6 ports yes...2 are black, I tried them after and it was originally connected to the red ones, 1 or 2. The black ones are 5 and 6 and are not shown at all in the bios, 1 to 4 says nothing is connected....so I thought it was more the ports than the drive, if 5 and 6 are not even there.
The drive can be dead even if it vibrates?
thanks...I will contact them on Monday I guess....Maxtor lasted 6 yrs and I am on it right now, been beating it to death, and Seagate, 5 months only, sheeesh......
thanks JDROM.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

the black ports are RAID only, i run the same mobo. make sure the bios is set for SATA and not AHCI.. it could cure you of a bit of grief.
Old May 29, 2009, 09:37 PM
Rookie

thanks but it is not on the mobo anymore, I got a new pci card which doesnt do anything either...when it was working on the mobo , it was on the red ports but it stopped all of a sudden which seems to be a common problem with seagate...I loved that mobo but not sure if its big enough either...anyway thanks and good night now.

oh and I checked the bios again , didnt find any AHCI there at all. Must be on sata only. Those bios should be more complete, they dont explain anything.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
thanks but it is not on the mobo anymore, I got a new pci card which doesnt do anything either...when it was working on the mobo , it was on the red ports but it stopped all of a sudden which seems to be a common problem with seagate.
Which is why I think the drive is "dead".

Anyways, best of luck getting your data back. And tell us how the Seagate process goes.