Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 17, 2009, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
those iometer screens are useless without telling us what testing was done.
You're quite right.

The full chart is from the bootup config from

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/fo...6&d=1238177389

I didn't save the chart for the high I/O one and forget the details. I ran an extensive series of IOmeter tests and just saved that one shot because it looked so impressive. :)
Old July 17, 2009, 03:14 PM

My System Specs

2 x X25-M RAID0 'used' on the same test
Old July 17, 2009, 03:38 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Nice array. X25Ms were beyond my budget but they still rule on small files.

My Vertex array may be hobbled by the ICH9R and 32-bits but the small file reads and writes aren't too bad after reflashing.

Check out the Atto (I know, I know), especially the very small files. That 64MB buffer per drive really helps.
Old July 17, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well jim you can always upgrade the guts of your system to an i7 and ich10r. and holy cow the intel ssd are way out of my budget. just waiting for the review on the adata's i have high hopes
Old July 18, 2009, 09:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well jim you can always upgrade the guts of your system to an i7 and ich10r. and holy cow the intel ssd are way out of my budget. just waiting for the review on the adata's i have high hopes
I'd get very little performance increase by going from the ICH9R to the ICH10R. To see real improvement I'd need a real hardware RAID card like an Areca, Highpoint, etc.

Some folks have achieved better than twice my performance with the same SSDs.

Yeah, I know my old Q6600 is getting a little long in the tooth but my array cost me so much I can't afford to upgrade my core system quite yet. I paid close to Can$500 each for my Vertexes (vertices?) back in February. That's the price of being an early adopter.

Maybe next Christmas I'll go i7. They should be cheaper by then. Last February I figured I'd see more of an apparent performance improvement by relieving the storage bottleneck than by merely upgrading the MB/CPU/RAM. Processing power hasn't been an issue for me. I don't even overclock my Q6600.

As for the Adata, I'm waiting too. My guess is that it'll be about on par with other Barefoot SSDs. It's all about the firmware and Indilinx seems to work well with SSD makers to customixe the FW according to those manufacturers' priorities.

Some still optimize for high sequential throughput because many consumers look first at maximum transfer rates whereas OCZ made major improvements in small-file transfers in their first few FW upgrades for the Vertex.

SSD FW upgrades are great. They're like getting a hardware upgrade for free and have the added bonus of clearing all the NAND cells so the SSDs are like brand new.

Of course every reflash takes away a tiny bit from an SSD's long-term write endurance, but we all know that "wearing out SSDs by re-writing" is a red herring anyway. If the 1.8" 32GB SLC Mtron in my Everun Note is good for 140 years of 50GB writes per day, how many 50GB days can I expect from a 480GB MLC Vertex array? Am I really going to write 50GB to my boot array every day anyway?
Old July 18, 2009, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

all very good points jim and i too am waiting on the adata 592 i have to go bang for buck. and you could upgrade your cpu/mb/ram combo for almost the price you paid for those vertex omg.
All 3 of my warps v2 only cost me like 350 right around there and yes i know that they are not the vertex but the bang for buck is great. who writes 50gb a day to there os drive anyway?

With said i am not worried about an of the ssd's that i own or plan on owning.( dying early that is )
Old July 18, 2009, 12:06 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

>>>you could upgrade your cpu/mb/ram combo for almost the price you paid for those vertex<<<

Yea, but I probably wouldn't see as much increase in user satisfaction as I got from relieving the storage bottleneck by upgrading from Raptors to Vertex.

It was one of those blow-you-away speedups like when I went from a 100MHz Pentium to a 400MHz K6/II, upgraded a Win98 system from 32MB to 256MB of RAM, or first booted from 4-HDD RAID-0 instead of a single HDD. The whole system just seemed twice as fast all of a sudden.

Many people don't realize what a bottleneck storage is on most systems.
Old July 18, 2009, 12:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

so true jim. The bottleneck has always been storage