Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2006, 11:31 AM
Misoprostol

Default broken SATA data connector

Anyone here ever broken the plastic piece on a SATA data connector and successfully reattached it. Mine broke off in the cable that it was connected to, but when I put the contacts back into the broken off bit in the end of teh cable it worked. Now that I've tried to glue it, my hard drive is not being detected. It's a shame because it's a Seagate 7200.8 250GB drive..... Anyone actually done this successfully?
Old November 5, 2006, 10:01 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
Anyone here ever broken the plastic piece on a SATA data connector and successfully reattached it. Mine broke off in the cable that it was connected to, but when I put the contacts back into the broken off bit in the end of teh cable it worked. Now that I've tried to glue it, my hard drive is not being detected. It's a shame because it's a Seagate 7200.8 250GB drive..... Anyone actually done this successfully?
I've done it a few times before and it's a bitch. You have to get another (defective) SATA HDD that has the connector and remove it. The hard part is lining all the pins up for the reinstall st the usually aren't all in line. I used the tip of a micro screwdriver to push the ends in one at a time till it slid on. I would only really recommend this if you had data on there that you really want back and don't want to pay the exorbitant amount of money a data recovery agency would charge. Even if you had to buy an identical drive it would still be cheaper. Actually, on that hand, you could just exchange the circuit boards with connector and all, that would be fairly simple.:cool:
Old November 6, 2006, 12:17 AM
Misoprostol

Honestly, there's nothing on there but a clean install of Windows Vista. I still wouldn't mind getting my drive back. I haven't tested it recently because I'm still running 320GB and a 120GB RAID-1 array on my main rig, but when I set up a little secondary box, I will try to get the drive working. If it's a no go, then I guess I'll spring for a new one :(
Old November 23, 2006, 11:55 PM
Misoprostol

I've decided to try soldering it. Does anyone know what I would need to do something like this? I guess if worst comes to worst, then after I've attempted soldering, then I can just ask Seagate to repair it (probably cost me $40-$50, but better than shelling out for a new drive)
Old November 27, 2006, 12:59 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misoprostol View Post
I've decided to try soldering it. Does anyone know what I would need to do something like this? I guess if worst comes to worst, then after I've attempted soldering, then I can just ask Seagate to repair it (probably cost me $40-$50, but better than shelling out for a new drive)
I guess the obvious would be a soldering iron with an extremely fine tip. For the love of god, don't go with a soldering gun as they get way to hot, the tips are to big and you will have no control with it. Also, are you sure Seagate will repair the drive if you screw it up? I figure with shipping and repair charge (if they do that) you might as well buy a new drive.
Old December 4, 2006, 11:26 PM
Misoprostol

Actually I ended up fixing it another way. I used a sanding bit on my dremel to chip the glue that got onto the connectors, and I cut apart the glued up SATA data cable that had the broken off piece stuck in it. Then without using glue, I put the broken bit in a new SATA cable, and then I just hoped that they'd make contact. I lucked out. It's alive :)
Old December 5, 2006, 09:01 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Nice work.;)
Old December 12, 2006, 11:11 PM
Misoprostol

Well it found its way to my parents' computer and now I'm using the 320GB I thought I was gonna have to put in their system. Now I can dual boot Vista/XP. I'm really looking forward to trying out Vista 64bit. I just need Sound card drivers I think, and I'll be ready to go. (I guess an 8800 would be nice too....)
Old December 13, 2006, 08:58 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Your parents needed a 320GB HDD?:eek: I think mine are using a 20gig.:D
Old December 13, 2006, 11:16 AM
Misoprostol

Well this is for that media center I want to set up for them. My siblings use the computer as well, haha. Either way 250GB will be big enough anyway.