Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default SSD

Looking to possibly buy a new hard drive. I only need about 50gb of space, just looking to install Games and an OS. Price range I'm flexible depending on performance. I know the Intel is king, and it looks like it's come down a fair bit in price. Anyways can anyone make other rec's for other drives? All I'm looking for is better load times really.
Old May 9, 2009, 02:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Vertex. ~65% the price of a Intel for slightly slower speeds (which you probably won't even feel during everyday usage). I'm selling a brand new unopened 30GB Vertex at OCZ Vertex 30GB SSD, OCZ 3GB Triple Channel RAM
And installing the OS + application is a good idea, but games might not, since I think you'll probably install and uninstall a lot of games over time, and you don't want to do too much deleting with a MLC SSD.

Old May 9, 2009, 02:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Off the top of my head:
OCZ Vertex
GSkill Falcon (vertex clone)
Corsair "S" and "P" SSDs

Going down in price more:
GSkill Titan
OCZ Apex

More details on price range would allow us to narrow it down more for you...but any of the first 3 if cost up to but not = to X-25M price. Last two if Vertex/Falcon/Corsair is too expensive ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old May 9, 2009, 06:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I can say with some certaintity , that with some help From AkG's side of things , the OCZ Apex are actually not to bad, and you'll feel a difference for sure going from non-SSD Drives.
Bang for the Buck, they are decent at what they do.
New Tech, is always fun.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 9, 2009, 10:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

30gb vertex for $138 after rebate from NCIX. I already have to order some memory that I need that's on sale there so that's a good deal. NCIX.com - Buy OCZ Vertex 30GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD - OCZSSD2-1VTX30G In Canada.

Will probably go with this. 140 is a lot better than 400 :)
Old May 10, 2009, 12:16 AM

My System Specs

If 30GB is enough for you then the Vertex is the best choice out there.
Old May 10, 2009, 12:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah I should be fine with 30.

Vista, BF2, Cod4, L4D...can't think of any other games I play now that I would put on there.
Old July 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I see that these (esp. the Intel X25-M 80GB 2.5IN SATA2 NCQ Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD) drives are quite popular in the NCIX contest wishlists. I'm guessing they're just starting to come down in price, but $400+ for an 80GB drive is still way over my budget (even if I were to win one from HWC )

Does anybody have info on price histories for these types of drives? How fast are prices coming down? Anyone want to hazard a ballpark guess on what a good deal on a SSD might be around Christmastime?
Old July 15, 2009, 01:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eunoia View Post
Does anybody have info on price histories for these types of drives? How fast are prices coming down? Anyone want to hazard a ballpark guess on what a good deal on a SSD might be around Christmastime?
Generally speaking the prices come down fairly linearly over the course of ~18 months at 50%, Following Moore's Law.

I wouldnt expect anything huge by Christmas. Maybe 50 bucks, but even that is just a guess. Akg could probably tell you more, but the transition to 42-35nm (depending on manufacture company) just started in late '08 early '09, with most companies still using 50-60nm. (Ive always found it wierd that memory never follows the same size as processors...)

However, the price actually changes more based upon the USD and flash memory prices, then market decay. Today it might be $350, by Christmas it could go up if there was a memory shortage. This happened recently actually, with the Vertex being available for ~$300 in mid-May, and by late may it was closer to $375. Part of that price hike may have been caused by companies like G.Skill and Patriot buying up flash memory for their own Vertex-clones. Who knows.

Anyways, long story short: The market is pritty volatile right now, and prices are comming down, but that doesn't mean they will. And in my opinion not having a SSD now, and waiting for 4+ months using crappy spindle drives to save 50 bucks just is totally not worth it. My SSD is on the way
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 15, 2009, 01:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Intel Corporation - Intel X25-M 80GB 2.5″ SATA2 NCQ Solid State Disk Flash... - SSDSA2MH080G1C5 - Powered by PriceCanada.com