Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/17724-usb-2-0-sata-ide-cable-does-not-work-properly.html)

zillah May 8, 2009 04:07 PM

USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE does not work properly

Hi

I tried to use new branded “R-Driver III” USB 2.0 TO SATA IDE CABLE device with Laptop HD and Desktop HD (I set it to slave) but it did not show me the HD , although I checked Disk Management.

I thought the problem with “ R-Driver III ”, about another one branded as Ritmo

Still the same problem is going on with both Hard Disks

Both hard disks are working if I hook them into a computer

Any thought would be appreciated

Thanks

dataxpert May 8, 2009 04:43 PM

what you means by setting it to slave, are you telling us you put both the 2.5 and the 3.5 drive at the same time........?

zillah May 8, 2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

put both the 2.5 and the 3.5 drive at the same time........?
I am plugging one device only not two devices at the same time.

Quote:

what you means by setting it to slave,
When I plugged the 3.5, I set it to master when it did not work , I tried to set to slave to see if it works or not, but it did not work

3.0charlie May 8, 2009 05:20 PM

Did you connect the external powersource.
Did you try different USB ports off the back of your computer, not the ones on the case.
Only use SATA drives for the time being.

zillah May 8, 2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Did you connect the external powersource.
I used it for 3.5 yes, , because without powersource , it did not work, and i can hear spinning of the HD.

But for 2.5 there is not place for external powersource, and I can not hear hd spinning when I plug it to the computer.

Quote:

Did you try different USB ports off the back of your computer, not the ones on the case.
Yes, BTW I have got new Gigabyte motherboard 6 months old

Quote:

Only use SATA drives for the time being.
I did not get that.

3.0charlie May 8, 2009 05:46 PM

You mentionned the slave jumper; only IDE drives have slave settings, hence why I mentionned to only use SATA drives for the time being. It's easier to troubleshoot.

When you connect the drive, is it with your computer shut down? When you restart and access the BIOS, does the drive show in the HDD section?

dataxpert May 8, 2009 05:54 PM

You not suppose to see the usb drive in the bios

did your computer detect the usb interface, the computer have to install a driver, in device manager , you should see a USB Mass Storage Device in USB section

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 192024)
....... When you restart and access the BIOS, does the drive show in the HDD section?

zillah May 8, 2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

You mentionned the slave jumper; only IDE drives have slave settings, hence why I mentionned to only use SATA drives for the time being.
I see, I do not have SATA HD handy right now, both 2.5 and 3.5 are IDE

Quote:

When you connect the drive, is it with your computer shut down? When you restart and access the BIOS, does the drive show in the HDD section?
I will try this and let you know

3.0charlie May 8, 2009 06:04 PM

You have to shut down the computer before connecting a HDD.

dataxpert May 8, 2009 06:23 PM

3.0 this is not a HD, I means it's like an external enclosure for HD ( iwhtout the enclosure ) , they work USB , so you plug them when the computer is boot. the computer will indicate installing new device, and only after you will see the drive. The OP sais they work when plug direct without the interface I just read some instruction, the drive have to be set as master....