Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 8, 2009, 08:41 AM
Top Prospect

Default Data backup advice needed

Well we just finished our ordeal with our Seagate drive. The hard drive just locked up and was unreadable. Luckly with info from this site I was able to get it recovered by Seagate and we are now up and running again. This has made me realize how stupid I have been not backing up all my data. My wife almost killed me when she heard we may have lost all our wedding pictures..

So, I need some advice on how to best setup our backup system. We already have a drive up and running with Windows Vista 64 bit. Ideally I would have liked to have set up a Raid 1 setup but I don't want to reinstall the OS and all the software and from my understanding these should really be setup when the OS is initially installed.

I am considering buying another identical internal drive (500 GB SATA) and using some yet to be determined software to periodically make a clone of the hard drive.

Then since we have a laptop, I'm considering buying a large 1TB external drive and cloning both the desktop and laptop to the external drive periodically.

The problem is that this is much less automated that I would have liked. Any suggestions on how I should back up my system (given that I already have a running HD and would prefer to not start from scratch).

Thanks!
Old May 8, 2009, 08:50 AM
Banned

Your Vista 64 have already a backup software.... and a complete system backup one too..... combine with the external HD is good option..... make sure the external is plug and runing when the back up is schedule
Old May 8, 2009, 01:01 PM
MVP

It all depends on the scale of which you want to ensure you have backups.

Something as simple as copying all your stuff over periodically (automated or not) is better than nothing.

I hear (some) good things about Windows Home Server which (I hear) can automate backups to itself.
Stupid thing is, you can't redundant the OS in WHS, so if the OS fails in some way it's a little painful (in comparison) to put your data back.

As always, with anything ultra important (IE Wedding photos) I'd recommend offsite backup. This is easy as putting things on an external drive and putting it at work or something or as elaborate as a rotating backup schedule to multiple places on the internet.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:29 PM
MVP

I guess your safety factor increases as the amount of backups you have and where they are stored.

I swear there is money in this....ie a Bank for Storage ..branches in each town.
I know you can do it via internet already ...but I am thinking of a place where you go and actually drop your data off..per say.

Bahh they prolly already exist

Many people are in for a big surprise someday when they go to get dads pictures off those ancient DVD's.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old May 8, 2009, 02:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i use the vista backup command line utility myself.. it's simple and earier to customize.

i backup nightly to my main file server, in your case this can be the directly attached drive or a USB drive, or an external drive on your network somewhere.

This may be more robust of a backup solution for your needs but it works well for me because i cant afford to have a backup file go corrupt on me...

I have 5 tasks in my Task Manager.. each task is for one day of the week (monday thru friday). The file scructure for the backups is as follows (E: being my backup drive in this example)

E:\robslaptop\monday\
E:\robslaptop\tuesday\
E:\robslaptop\wednesday\
E:\robslaptop\thursday\
E:\robslaptop\friday\

the commands in my task scheduler is basically this:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:E:\robslaptop\monday backup include:c:,d: -quiet

like i said, one command for each day. This backup over-writes the old backup done the monday before.. so they are always fresh.

The backups are compressed but do take up a fair bit of data. Surprisingly it does not take long per backup.
Old May 8, 2009, 02:40 PM
Banned

redundant ring raid 1 in my head, and yes you can put your WHS OS on a miror , it's a 2003 server , this WHS, with some feature remove, and other added. I even install office on mine. Just press F6 when you install it and put your raid driver....

[quote=death_hawk;191901].....Stupid thing is, you can't redundant the OS in WHS, .....quote]
Old May 8, 2009, 02:43 PM
Banned

excellent idea to make 5 diferent back up so if you make a mistake the wenesday, you just get the tuesday back up, no need to lost everything, but for some more security, I always make the friday a weekly backup, so I keep 4 copies of friday. On few customers I even made a manual backup once a mounth , of their acconting on a DVD, in case they want came back few month before, always usefull for clerk mistake....

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post

E:\robslaptop\monday\
E:\robslaptop\tuesday\
E:\robslaptop\wednesday\
E:\robslaptop\thursday\
E:\robslaptop\friday\

the commands in my task scheduler is basically this:

wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:E:\robslaptop\monday backup include:c:,d: -quiet

like i said, one command for each day. This backup over-writes the old backup done the monday before.. so they are always fresh.

The backups are compressed but do take up a fair bit of data. Surprisingly it does not take long per backup.
Old May 8, 2009, 03:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

true dataxpert, but i wanted to make a post that looked "short and sweet" heh

what you talk about is a grandfather-father-son backup method, and is a standard backup-tape rotation scheme.

the task scheduler is cool because you can have daily, weekly and monthly schedules for each backup job command. It's free with windows/vista/windows server and also logs success-failures in the event viewer.
Old May 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
Banned

I'm not worry you know about it Grinder, when someone throw some command line with wbadmin , I know the guy know something.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post

Old May 9, 2009, 09:01 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks so much for all the help guys!! Some of it is very much over my head but some of it is great..

I did not know that Vista Ultimate had a backup utility that would allow you to image your whole hard drive (programs and OS included). I think I am going to start with this and pick up an external drive and make periodic backups for now..

Does anyone have any comments on the windows backup utility?