Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2009, 03:28 AM
Top Prospect

Default Question - Segate Barracuda II: Enable advanced Performance

I came across this option in device manager.
I want to know if my power supply is adequate enough to handle this.
I use Corsair HX 1000W. I'm including the picture below.
Thanks.
Attached Images

Core i7 920 on EVGA X58 @ 3.95GHZ
Noctua NH U12P 1366
OCZ DDR3 Triple Channel Gold Version 6GB (8-8-8-24)
EVGA GTX 260SC
Windows Vista Ultimate X64
750GB Hardisk
Antec P182 Case: Quiet but not very good for cooling

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad SL500
Old April 19, 2009, 06:00 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

By "Backup power supply" they mean using a UPS battery backup system, not a higher-capacity PSU.
Old April 19, 2009, 06:04 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

What that option does is the OS caches writes so that it does a burst of them to the hdd every so often...not right away. If you lose power before the burst write occurs....you is SOL. To me its not worth the risk.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 19, 2009, 06:23 AM
Top Prospect

I strongly urge you to get a UPS.
For just over $100 there is no reason not to have one, especially on a rig with your specs!
I recommend: OPTI-UPS GS1100B
Canadian Prices: Opti-UPS - OPTI-UPS GS1100B / 6-Outlet / 1100 VA / 550W / UPS (Black) - GS1100B

To answer your question, Yes.
I always use those setting for HDDs.
Old April 19, 2009, 06:58 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

+1 to Magnetar, get a UPS then turn on write caching. If the power goes out you have time to do an orderly shutdown and the data is saved. If you use the UPS software the computer can be set to do a shutdown itself when you are not home. Also a good UPS will protect against spikes, brownouts, sags and whatnot with line conditioning. A worthy purchase, I would never run a computer without one.
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old April 19, 2009, 04:40 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the sound advice guys.
By the way, I use APC Surgearrest/7-Outlet/490 Joules/Surge Suppressor.

APC SurgeArrest Essential 7-Outlet 490 Joules Surge Suppressor with Phone Protection P7T in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
This looks inferior to Opti-UPS - OPTI-UPS GS1100B / 6-Outlet / 1100 VA / 550W / UPS (Black) - GS1100B, but I thought it was good enough. Could you tell me more reasons why I should get a power protector over $100?
I need to get some cash if I am going to buy it.
Thanks

Core i7 920 on EVGA X58 @ 3.95GHZ
Noctua NH U12P 1366
OCZ DDR3 Triple Channel Gold Version 6GB (8-8-8-24)
EVGA GTX 260SC
Windows Vista Ultimate X64
750GB Hardisk
Antec P182 Case: Quiet but not very good for cooling

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad SL500
Old April 22, 2009, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
Could you tell me more reasons why I should get a power protector over $100?
Thanks
Dwayne has explained that pretty well as it is. Not much else to add.

Currently your surge protect does just that, protects against power surges, nothing more.
Old April 22, 2009, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by appplejack View Post
Thanks for the sound advice guys.
By the way, I use APC Surgearrest/7-Outlet/490 Joules/Surge Suppressor.

APC SurgeArrest Essential 7-Outlet 490 Joules Surge Suppressor with Phone Protection P7T in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
This looks inferior to Opti-UPS - OPTI-UPS GS1100B / 6-Outlet / 1100 VA / 550W / UPS (Black) - GS1100B, but I thought it was good enough. Could you tell me more reasons why I should get a power protector over $100?
Thanks
You are not getting a "power protector". The APC you mention is a "surge suppressor" in that it attempts to stop a large amount of voltage from getting to your computer.

The second device that was mentioned, the Opti-UPS device, is a device that will keep your computer running after all the power to your entire city is gone. It's a battery pack that lets your computer run with NO POWER FROM THE WALL OUTLET. These devices are often called "UPS - Uninterruptable Power Supplies".

If you turn on write caching, then have a power failure you are going to hate life. If you have your surge protector from APC it will do NOTHING to make you hate life less. If you have a UPS like the Opti-UPS then it will keep your computer running after the power goes out..... long enough for the computer to write the cached information to your drive and shut down properly.

APC also sells UPS's

I hope this helps....