Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2009, 02:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Vertex vs. Intel X-25

The 80 GB X-25 costs 470 at NCIX right now, while a 30 GB Vertex costs 153 each at newegg.ca. That's 90 GB of Vertex in a 3-SSD RAID0 for less than 460 dollars. Wouldn't the Vertex be a much better choice than X-25 in terms of everything? (Performance, cost per gigabyte, actual price you have to pay for a working unit and the size of storage you have)

Old April 17, 2009, 05:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

have not looked much into the vertex but i have gone with 3 waprs in raid0 and lets just say you can't get much faster for the price imho. read up to 400 mbs max
Old April 17, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
The 80 GB X-25 costs 470 at NCIX right now, while a 30 GB Vertex costs 153 each at newegg.ca. That's 90 GB of Vertex in a 3-SSD RAID0 for less than 460 dollars. Wouldn't the Vertex be a much better choice than X-25 in terms of everything? (Performance, cost per gigabyte, actual price you have to pay for a working unit and the size of storage you have)
The X25-M is a very fast drive at small writes, so it should make your OS feel faster. You probably won't notice the difference much other than in benchmarks.

I'd rather go for the single 80GB drive over 3 30GB drives. Then you could get another 80GB down the road and RAID0 and have enough space for you OS and all your programs with some room to spare. Then grab a big mechanical drive for storage and backup.

That's why I'm doing
Old April 17, 2009, 05:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

you really should not install all your apps to the ssd's. because allot of them have temp files that they like to write to the c drive. infact almost all apps have some form of temp or os update for the file sytem ( as they run check res monitor in vista)to keep track of data. these are little writes not good. you can just install a hd for page file and and install all programs there saves the ssd's big time ( now if money is not an issus then grab the x-25 i plan on grabing 2 when they come down a bit so )
Old April 17, 2009, 08:15 AM

My System Specs

The X25-M is a better performing drive, it is even better than the 120GB (which is considerably faster than the 30GB). But I have my doubts you'll notice the difference in speed (between the 120GB or the X25-M).

Also I don't think worrying about writes on the X25-M is a big deal. According to Intel the write-leveling algorithm strength is very weak and not as hard on the drives. I've heard they will do 500GB of writes a day and still last 5 years. The Jmicron drives write-leveling algorithm is supposedly a lot stronger, causing the drives life to be considerably shorter.

But as for the X25-M verses the 3 Vertex' in RAID0. This has been debated quite a bit. But personally I don't think RAID0 w/ SSD's benefits a lot. At least with games, OS startup, application launching. If you need them for high throughput applications, that is another story. So I would go with either the 120GB Vertex or the X25-M.
Old April 17, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

lowfat how is the 120 faster then the 30 if the only difference is the size you know alot more about ssd's then i do so
Old April 17, 2009, 08:32 AM

My System Specs

The 120GB and 250GB drives have more channels than the 30GB and 60GB. If I didn't have MFT installed on my 120GB I could show you the difference. But write and read speeds are quite a bit faster.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

wow learn some thing new all the time. thank lowfat
Old April 19, 2009, 01:57 PM
Top Prospect

the only ssd worth getting i my opinion is the intel ssd.

ocz is always coming out with new techs that still cant compete with intel and patriot ardy has the warp v3s in the works.
Old April 19, 2009, 02:44 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by go flames go View Post
the only ssd worth getting i my opinion is the intel ssd.

ocz is always coming out with new techs that still cant compete with intel and patriot ardy has the warp v3s in the works.
The Vertex performs very similar to the X25-M. Close enough that you can't really notice the difference. And I have both so I know from first hand experience. The Warp V3 was released back in December 2008 and it is jmicron based. Can't come anywhere near the OCZ Vertex in terms of performance.