Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2009, 09:58 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Changing sata connector = lost partition?

Hi guys,

this happened to me two times, just want to be sure if this is the way it is supposed to work and why.

So I took my 2 internal hdd (samsung 160gb and 7200.10 320gb seagate) from my old rig and plugged them into my new rig. The 160gb had a windows install wich I wanted to format and the 320gb had some mp3 and other files. When I pluged them on my new mobo, both drive were unpartitioned...

Now, last week, I've redone my cable management and I changed the way everything was connected. The 160gb has been given away. The 320 GB had a ntfs partition with nothing on it and was connected to sata1 port. After my cable management my 320gb was connected to sata2 port and.... the partiton had been deleted. The drive on sata 0 port (wd caviar black) has been untouched.

Why is the partition gone? Thanks for your lights!
Old April 3, 2009, 10:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just switching sata ports shouldnt have deleted your partition.
Old April 4, 2009, 05:44 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

no one?
Old April 4, 2009, 06:09 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

If your rigs had different chipsets, the HDD may not be recongnized, this would show as unpartitionned drives - or not show at all. You'll need to re-install the chipset drivers I believe, or a full OS reinstall possibly.

Now, for the switch in SATA ports: my X58-Extreme has 2 sets of SATA ports: 2 of them are used only in an onboard Raid environment, while the others are driven by the chipset. If you moved the SATA cable from the STD SATA port to the Raid port, the board will not recongnize the HDD.
Old April 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
If your rigs had different chipsets, the HDD may not be recongnized, this would show as unpartitionned drives - or not show at all. You'll need to re-install the chipset drivers I believe, or a full OS reinstall possibly.

Now, for the switch in SATA ports: my X58-Extreme has 2 sets of SATA ports: 2 of them are used only in an onboard Raid environment, while the others are driven by the chipset. If you moved the SATA cable from the STD SATA port to the Raid port, the board will not recongnize the HDD.
thanks for your reply, but i've got a ga-ep45-ds3l wich has no sata port. I'll do some test right now, just to be sure it wasn't an error or anything, I'll move my hdd from one sata to another one and see what happens.

edit, just moved my 7200 320gb from one sata to another one and everything seems to be ok.

Last edited by Bomberman07; April 4, 2009 at 08:12 PM.