Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
Last time I'll buy em ( even at 10 bux for 50 )
the price is why i purchased them to
extra few dollars for another brand is well worth it..

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old March 25, 2009, 09:26 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Combination of crappy media and the -r format. I had a burner stop writing -r's totally (DVD or CD), writes +r's no problem.

-r's reserve a test section. Each time you burn a cd your burner tests different write formats on this section to find which works best.

+r's, reserves the same section but it is prewritten with instructions on how to best burn that media.

Not hard to see which format is better.
Old March 25, 2009, 09:33 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
Combination of crappy media and the -r format. I had a burner stop writing -r's totally (DVD or CD), writes +r's no problem.

-r's reserve a test section. Each time you burn a cd your burner tests different write formats on this section to find which works best.

+r's, reserves the same section but it is prewritten with instructions on how to best burn that media.

Great bit of info.

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old March 25, 2009, 09:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Yah, I came across that while spending wayyy too much time trying to figure out why my burner was making coasters out of everything. Ran out and bought some +r's, no more problems.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay51 View Post
the price is why i purchased them to
extra few dollars for another brand is well worth it..
50 ridata were on sale for around ten bux at NCIX, any brand locally go for $40-$50 for 50 of them right now... Dunno why they jumped so much in price, mebbee cause nobody uses em any more?
Old March 25, 2009, 10:35 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post

Interesting, I never heard of +R cd's before...
On a side note I have 50 Kodak +R dvds that only play in half of the dvd players I've tried em in. All the brands of -R's I've tried seem to work in all of them.
Old March 25, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

3 of 7, DVDs are a different beast all together. Some DVD mfg'ers (Pioneer for example) DVD burners have a clear preference for -R over +R (or vice versa...such as with the old Plextor drives). Sounds like either A) the -Rs you have are a better quality media...or B) your drive just doesn't like +R (I assume you were bitsetting your +Rs Booktype to "DVD-ROM" for added compatibility).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 25, 2009, 11:05 AM
Allstar

I don't have a problem with the Kodak DVD+r's at all in any of my my burners, just in some standalone dvd players. Funny thing is my dad's new Panasonic won't play them but my brothers $49 unknown brand does. The -r's I've been using are Memorex ($19 for 100 at Canadian tire FTW)
Old March 25, 2009, 12:59 PM
Allstar

I found that memorex can provide pretty good burns for the price.
I also found that alot of my older memorex cdrs are now starting to deteriorate on the top layer. When sliding my xp cd in a cd binder, the top layer peeled right off the plastic disc.

| ASUS P8Z68-VPRO | Intel i5 2500K | 8Gb Patriot Viper Xtreme | 2x 60gb OCZ Solid 3 SSD | EVGA GTX260 Core216 |

Old March 25, 2009, 01:24 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I had REALLY good luck with about three spindles in a row with the red-wrapped Ridata, so I kept getting them. This last batch has been JUNK. Thinking about it, however, I realized that the majority of my CD burns were with my old Benq 1640, and I'm now using a Pioneer 212D, so that may be part of it too. Nevertheless, I think they're off my list; good thing I don't do much in the way of CD burning anyway.