LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 25, 2009, 12:01 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
If he's running Vista, see here:

Boot Up - Vista Forums

Make sure you change the number of processors used at boot if he's got a Core 2. That's a little trick no one really talks about, but makes a huge difference, especially with i7's.

edit: direct link for above

Boot Advanced Options - Number of Processors - Vista Forums
hmm, people say it's faster, but according to this article, the system uses all cores by default, so who is right?

Mythbusting: Debunking Common Windows Performance Tweaking Myths

"According to this tip, you were supposed to use MS Config to modify the "Number of processors" drop-down on the Boot tab. The problem is that this setting is only used for troubleshooting and debugging, to be able to determine if there is a problem with a single processor, or for a programmer to test their code against a single core while running on a multi-core system. Windows will use all your processors by default without this setting."
Old March 25, 2009, 02:55 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I don't know who's right, but the startup time on the lappy was 90 seconds, and after modifying the MsConfig Boot tab, it dropped to 60 seconds...
Old March 25, 2009, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Tell your granpa of the benefits of folding for the HWC team. Then he will have to leave it on at night ! Voilą

Sold hardware again.....
Currently using WHS hardware....
Old March 26, 2009, 11:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I don't know who's right, but the startup time on the lappy was 90 seconds, and after modifying the MsConfig Boot tab, it dropped to 60 seconds...
I run a few tests using ReBoot Time:

- 86 sec. with tweak
- 73 sec. without tweak
- 74 sec. without tweak
- 70 sec. with tweak
- 75 sec. with tweak

didn't make a difference on my system (Windows 7)