Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 20, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default G. Skill Titan 256GB SSD Review Comment Thread

In our continuing look at the state of SSDs we set our sites on G.Skill's latest offering: the massive 256GB Titan. This bad boy is awfully impressive, and while it may have JM controllers in it...it has two of them to help handle the load. While still far from a perfect design it is Dam Innovative and is better than its predecessors.

To read our review please click here: Titan

On a side note this bad boy has been chosen to undergo an extended 6mth torture test (in my heavily used dual core tablet PC) to see if it degrades in performance.

Hope you enjoy it,
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 20, 2009, 07:56 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Read the article on the bus ride to school this morning, looks like a decent performer.

You do need to get someone to proof-read your reviews though, I noticed a few typos
Old March 20, 2009, 08:05 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I do the proof reading. Going over it again. Thanks for the heads up.
Old March 20, 2009, 08:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent review. I wish they would try a different company for the controllers other than JMicrons. Many of them should be inspired by Intel's or Samsung's...just a thought I guess.

Overall the review was very in depth and I loved how you took the time to take it apart and list the pieces inside it. It was very very informative.

Oh, and like I mentioned to FiXT, I'd love to be a proof reader.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
We can spend ages talking about how the RAID controller shows its Achilles' heel very now and then, it does make a difference and it has a definite positive on the dreaded stutter issue
There were 2 others I noted, gonna re-read and see if they pop out at me again.

Ergh, I am hoping that one of these times a drive is going to come along and give me reason to shell out the big cash money.
Old March 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

My System Specs

A little OT, but do you guys plan on reviewing one of the 128GB Corsair SSD's?
Old March 20, 2009, 12:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Yes, we will.
Old March 20, 2009, 01:01 PM
Allstar

Those load time benchmarks says it all. Great real-world performance gains are what I like to see.

I can't wait until ssds become competitive in terms of pricing with mechanical drives. Every year they claim it will be soon, but when platter densities improves at the current rate, I don't see how this is feasible at all. I have a feeling we're not even close to reaching the magnetic denisty limit of platter-based drives. You have to admit WD is pretty impressive at jumping from 1TB to 2TB drives, and at present time you can pick up HDs at 10cents/GB on sale.

If platter drives can jump in increments of 1TB or more, I don't see how SSDs can hope to catch up with the slow rate of improvement seen so far.

The only use I'd see is for a boot or application drive. However, 32 and 64GB isn't what I consider adequate for a boot drive filled with applications with extra space needed for a swap file, especially since with SSDs you need to keep the drive half empty to allow the algorithims for optimal data writes. And larger SSDs are still prohibitively expensive for me.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old March 20, 2009, 01:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

newguy...give it time. The improvements that SSDs have attained in one year is amazing. Prices are dropping like a stone and density is getting better. Heck, SSDS right now could easily be bigger than 2TB...but who could afford 'em! I say 2-3yrs and they will be mainstream, w/ mainstream size and mainstream prices.

OT:
IF platter based drives are more up your alley stay tuned as I have a review in the pipeline that may just tickle your fancy...big...fast...reasonable price...and thats all I can say at the moment

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 20, 2009, 01:13 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Yes, we will.
O goodie

Should make a great drive for people wanting to upgrade their SATA1 notebooks. (i.e. me)