Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 14, 2009, 11:56 AM
Rookie

Default Help with internal HDD w/ encolsure

Hey everyone, i was looking into purchasing an external hard drive and based on some research through the forum i've decided to go with these two products ... WD 64oGB Caviar Black HDD (WD6401AALS) and the Vantec Nexstar 3 (NST-360SU-BK). Just have a few questions ... 1. Do these products come with the necessary cables for me to get going ... (i'm assuming all i need for this setup is a power chord and an eSata cable that will go from the external drive to the eSata plug on my motherboard (Asus P6T deluxe v2)) .... 2. Is this plug and play, or do i have to do any formatting to the new external drive ?? If i do haveto format and set this external drive up myself (Vista 64bit) ... can you point me to any sites that explain how to do this or in your own words tell me what i have to do ... I appreciate all your help and input and also have thank this forum and it's posters that replied in my previous thread in the New Builds section, that helped me with my new build ... i love it, thanks for the help !! Take Care
Old March 14, 2009, 12:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I've got the Nexstar 3 in blue. It came with both an eSATA cable, and a USB cable; the hard drive needs no cables, as it slides right into the dock, which then slides into the case.

Yes, you will have to format. When you get the drive into the enclosure and plug it into both power and the computer, switch it on and go to control panel->administrative tools->computer management->disk management. From there, right click on the drive (make sure you pick the right one; you should know by the size, if nothing else) and go to format.
Old March 17, 2009, 01:41 PM
Rookie

It's that easy ... thats really nice to know, thanks for your help !!
Old March 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

You have to format after. Easy enough.

Esata is the shit too. Wayyyy faster than usb 2.0. You can even run raid on them. I have set a client up with a raid mirror between his sata drive on the server and an external drive in a fireproof safe in the crawlspace under his office.
Old March 17, 2009, 02:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm....didn't get an esata cable with my Nexstar...
Old March 17, 2009, 02:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
Hmmm....didn't get an esata cable with my Nexstar...
Did you get the bracket?
IIRC there was a sticker on my nexstar3 saying esata bracket and cable included.
Old March 17, 2009, 02:31 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Depends on the model you buy. The OP is getting the same one I bought, which specifically says ESATA and USB. This model comes with a bracket that goes in an expansion slot, and connects to the internal sata port. There was a grey ESata cable that came with it.

Very good enclosure...I have a WD green drive in mine, to cut down on the heat and hopefully improve longevity.
Fold for team #54196
Old March 17, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Got the bracket but no cable.....now I am doubting myself, gonna check right after work. I bought a 6' one last week tho....
Old March 17, 2009, 06:12 PM
Rookie

Format first ? There's also option to "mark partition as active" ... just want to know exactly what to do so i don't have trouble ...

Once i have the hard drive set in the enclosure .. plug in the eSata cable into the empty eSata plug in the motherboard, plug in the power cord, then turn my computer on ... can i assume that windows vista will recognize the plugged in external drive and give it a location, etc ...

Then as you say, go to disk management and format the drive ...

Sorry for all the questions, i just like to know exactly what i should be doing when i do this ...

Thx again