Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2009, 10:55 AM
Top Prospect

Default esata cardb

I bought an external hardrive enclosure that communicates via esata, but now i need a esata PCI card (i'm not sure if its pci - its those big old white slots)
Old March 13, 2009, 11:10 AM

My System Specs

Does your motherboard have SATA? Then you don't need a PCI card. Most external HDD's that have esata come with a plug that plugs in to your mobo then has a header for the pci slot. At least Vantec comes with them. If it didn't come with it you can buy one here.
NCIX.com - Buy nGear Internal SATA to External eSATA Bracket - NG-SATA-ESATA In Canada.
Old March 14, 2009, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

oh cool - but i don't think it has sata ports inside - its one of those mac computers that look like a cheese-grater haha
Old March 14, 2009, 12:34 PM

My System Specs

O00o00o. If you are using a Mac Pro or a PowerMac you'll need a card that will work with Macs. Not all will. If it is a Mac Pro, then yes your Mac has 2 SATA ports on the motherboard that aren't used. If its a Power Mac then you will require a mac compatible esata card.