Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 9, 2009, 07:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default cheap ssd's anygood

some people who have had experience with ssd's i was thinking of 2 of these in raid
opinions and or comments please have heard not so great things and know nothing of ssd's (only of i got in wifes lappie ) ex(NCIX.com - Buy Patriot PE32GS25SSDR Warp 32GB 2.5IN SATA2 Solid State Disk Flash Drive SSD 1 Year MFR Warranty - PE32GS25SSDR In Canada.)
Old March 9, 2009, 07:40 PM

My System Specs

They aren't bad drives. They still will be faster at most tasks than any mechanical hard drive out there. You will want to align the drives partitions though. Partition alignment importance under Windows XP (32-bit and 64-bit)..why it helps with stuttering and increases drive working life. - OCZ Forum
As Jmicron controlled SSD's suffer quite a bit more, than other SSD's, from poor alignment.

Now I would highly suggest going with an OCZ Vertex though if you can afford the jump. The cache and better I/O per second performance will make a rather significant improvement in performance.
Old March 9, 2009, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still beg to differ; they may offer good performance but I'm willing to bet if you sank 250-300 in a 3 or so WD Black 640GB drives and raid them you would never notice the difference (aside from the audible ones lol). I don't think SSD's are truly there -just- yet. Soon though, give em another year.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 9, 2009, 09:20 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
I still beg to differ; they may offer good performance but I'm willing to bet if you sank 250-300 in a 3 or so WD Black 640GB drives and raid them you would never notice the difference (aside from the audible ones lol). I don't think SSD's are truly there -just- yet. Soon though, give em another year.
Mechanical HDDs can't compare to do access time and IOPS. I have 12 drives in RAID on my storage server and there is no way I would choose to use that over my X25-M. And that is over 500 MB/s read/writes compared to the 240/70 MB/s read/writes of my SSD. SSD's are the way to go, even the cheaper ones.
Old March 10, 2009, 04:05 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

They are worth it, just for being noiseless - especially since I moved from a 74Gb Raptor to the Gskill SSD. What a difference....

One comment though: 32Gb may just be cutting it short, even for an OS. I chose the 64Gb Gskill because of that.
Old March 10, 2009, 05:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You run a single one Charlie?

The 64gb G.Skill's are well priced; probably one of the few decently priced SSD's out there. Few more months though; I suspect we'll start to truly start to see where SSD's shine; esp as storage size increases; price drops and SATA III hits the ground.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.
Old March 10, 2009, 05:05 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

They are worth it. A couple of those patriots + a RAId controller = sweet setup. IF I had to go w/ only 1 SSd, the top picks would be Corsair's SSD, OCZ Vertex tied for first. 2nd place would be G,Skill Titan or OCZ Apex or Patriot Warpv3. 3rd would be warp v2s. Dark horse would be X-25M...or X-25E.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; March 10, 2009 at 05:41 AM.
Old March 10, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i was thinking raid i have read your review of the g.skill(very good by the way thanks) thats what got me on the cheaper ones was trying not to have to by the g.skill but i am not sure if the 64 or 32 gig warps are as fast at writes and i don't want a stutter machine
Old March 10, 2009, 05:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

with the warp drive i have listed i can't find what version it is
Old March 10, 2009, 05:43 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

patriot is only shipping v2 and v3. There should be little to no dif in write speed between 32gbb vs 64g vs 128gb warp v2s. ONLY dif will be between v2s and newer v3s. When in doubt assume v2 :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr