Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Default Patriot Warp v2 128GB SSD Review Comment Thread

Recently we said we were getting back into SSD reviews and boy we weren't kidding! Today we will look closely at a slightly older SSD from Patriot. I think we can all safely say its a very good drive for its price and since a V3 model is now out we expect the V2 to only get cheaper. Take a look at our review and tell us what you think!

To read our review please click here: Patriot Warp V2

Hope you enjoy it,
AkG

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 6, 2009, 06:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

This...is honestly making me lean more and more towards an SSD and selling my Raptors...
Its Tempting.
Good Review, I can't wait to see when you do the OCZ one so I can show my friend how its done lol.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 6, 2009, 06:33 AM

PM me at I'll send you the links ;) and step you through them if you need help :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 6, 2009, 07:52 AM

My System Specs

Just an FYI you touch on the disk alignment in the review a bit. You say that if you are running Vista you can use the recovery disk to align the partitions. This is true, however if you are running Vista you shouldn't need to align the disks as long as you created the partition from the install disc as it aligns it automatically.
Old March 6, 2009, 08:19 AM

Yes and no. Vista kinda sorta gets it right...but it doesn't align it to the proper offset. This can actually make things worse than XPs setup.

Old March 6, 2009, 08:21 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Yes and no. Vista kinda sorta gets it right...but it doesn't align it to the proper offset. This can actually make things worse than XPs setup.
Hmmm. Not to take the thread off course, but did you align the partitions with the X25-M as well?
Old March 6, 2009, 08:39 AM

I honestly don't remember if I did or not after I was finished testing. I doubt it as I have since wiped this drive clean :). In any case, I don't do any tweaks to any SSD during the testing phase. All I do is formatting. And for most of the tests it run as a secondary drive. This way your experience will be similar to mine (performance wise).

Old March 8, 2009, 08:11 AM
Rookie

Where did you get that samsung SSDs use Jmicron controllers???
Old March 8, 2009, 08:46 AM

These drives are called "Samsung rebadges" because they are all based off the ref Samsung design....which use JM for their drive controllers (in some cases the company can choose a dif more expensive controller BUT the Jm is the "stock" option). Is calling these Sammy rebadged drives totally accurate...maybe not as the end company does have some wiggle room w/ options...but its close enough. A while back one of the heads of Samsung came out and defended their use of JM on their drives saying it wasn't JMs fault or theirs (WRT to stutter issues) but was MS for building a crappy OS. Has been this way for a while now. Hopefully new or future rebadged drives will NOT use JM...but its doubtful as you will see in later reviews. SOME new Sammys branded Sammmy SSD use a dif controller (Their OWN ARM based one) but that is another story all together...and does bode well for future future readges ;)

Last edited by AkG; March 8, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:52 AM
Trial Member

Hi AkG,

Thanks for the review of the Patriot Warp V2 SSD. I bought a 32GB version myself to replace the HD in a netbook (Asus 900HA WinXP). I did all the basic tweaks but not the partition alignment. So far so good, though I only use it as a "netbook" (surf, email, chat, read) with no heavy-duty programs.

I wonder - if you have time, would you consider doing a different review on the "effectiveness of aligning partition of MLC SSD on improving performance of Windows (Vista, XP)"? This means aligning the partition of your Warp V2 128GB SSD and repeating all the tests for a before-and-after comparison.

Thanks.

SJ