Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 6, 2009, 08:25 AM

My System Specs

I think this is what happened
PC Perspective - Long-term performance analysis of Intel Mainstream SSDs

He stats that iometer can do the same thing in a matter of hours. And the performance I was getting was very similar.
Old March 6, 2009, 03:33 PM

My System Specs

Do you plan on doing any long term tests with the X25-M?

I've had mine for a whopping 48 hours and I really can't recommend this drive as a system drive.
This is on a brand new install of Vista 64-bit as of this morning.

For a $450 drive you would think you could get higher than 30MB/s sequential writes. The drive is partitioned in to 2 partitions, 1 13GB for the OS (extremely lightweight Vista 64-bit), and the remaining for MFT. The MFT partition preforms alright (because of the assistance of MFT), but not like it should.

I've also tried it on an AMD system (number 2 in sig) with the same results.

I definitely never had problems like this with the 4 x 32gb Patriot Warp v2 in RAID0 that I was using before this.

I've also tried without MFT and tried using the Diskeeper HyperFast, but results were the same. I am going to try a single parition of Windows 7 here now to see if the results are the same.

Last edited by lowfat; March 6, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old March 6, 2009, 04:01 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Wow, that right there is downright horrible.
Old March 6, 2009, 04:04 PM
Banned
F@H

Yeah, but why?
Old March 6, 2009, 04:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Intel went and got fancy w/ the firmware. It is supposed to learn what you need over time and adapt its self to your uses...problem is IOmeter and other totally random bechmarks can cause it to have fits....but its totally random to whom it happens. Our drive didn't suffer from it and people who DON'T extensively benchmark their drive shouldn't have problems either...its just us bleeding edge types who may suffer.

The other prob is the OS...they have been tweaked for spindle drives and don't have a clue how to properly USE a SSD. In a nut shell lowfat got hit by a perfect storm and I feel your pain. However, slap this bad boy into a laptop and use the laptop for 6mths and most users shouldn't ever be hit by this issue....most likely ;)

It will be interesting to see if this issue get resolved with Intel's future Gen 2 drives. In the mean time it still is one kick ass drive. Just one w/ a prima dona temperament.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 6, 2009, 06:40 PM

My System Specs

So I wiped the drive with HDDerase 3.30, which I had to do on my AMD system since it wouldn't load my my X58 system. Moved back to X58 system. Installed W7 on it. Moved all my applications back to the drive.

Don't know what fixed it. Maybe it was the HDDerase (although I did use 3-4 other low level format applications), or maybe because of the single partition, or even Windows 7. Either way hopefully it stays this way.

Last edited by lowfat; March 18, 2009 at 09:33 PM.