Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 5, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

ummm...cough.....actually I ran it for 80'ish minutes for each que depth....FOUR times. As I do for all the other tests :)~
It takes about a day to fully run the IOMeter tests...properly ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 5, 2009, 11:38 AM

My System Specs

uhh, wow, you are hardcore

I don't think I am hardcore enough to spend an entire day SSD benching. An hour to sure, but not whole day.
Old March 5, 2009, 11:27 PM

My System Specs

Did you have any fragmentation issues after all your Iometer runs? It crippled my drive. I was getting 30 MB/s writes after running it. Had to completely zero out the drive to regain its performance.
Old March 6, 2009, 12:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Sigh... this is why I haven't bitten the bullet on these things yet. I deal with the price, it's these oddball issues that make me hold back.
Old March 6, 2009, 04:42 AM

After doing any major benchmark I format all SSD drives. I do this to ensure best results in all tests...so I while I didn't have any issues...it is not totally surprising. You are doing a major extended random write and read test and these bad boys don't exactly like that as it will never happen to that extent in normal operations. Add in that defraging is frowned upon and you get a badly confused, badly fragmented drive.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 6, 2009, 04:55 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

After reading AkG's Patriot v2 review, I have the distinct feeling that many of the issues are due to the OS rather than the drive itself.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:36 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
After doing any major benchmark I format all SSD drives. I do this to ensure best results in all tests...so I while I didn't have any issues...it is not totally surprising. You are doing a major extended random write and read test and these bad boys don't exactly like that as it will never happen to that extent in normal operations. Add in that defraging is frowned upon and you get a badly confused, badly fragmented drive.
Formatting didn't help me. I had to do a low level format (write zeros to entire drive). I never used an actual defrag tool either.
Old March 6, 2009, 07:44 AM

That is strange. I did IOmeter first then did a bunch more benchmarks on our X25M w/ no hiccup. Is it working properly now?

Old March 6, 2009, 07:48 AM

My System Specs

After 2 low level formats it seems to be better. Ended up reinstalling windows 4 times yesterday until i figured out the problem though.
Old March 6, 2009, 08:18 AM

I wonder if your X25m "adaptive firmware" went wonky on you. It is supposed to over time adapt its self the users needs....and in your case it went a little insane. Glad to hear its working for you again!