LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2009, 08:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Which model ST? Solid? Apex? or Vertex?

OCZ Solid Series 120GB I believe.
I know it wasn't the highest end one out there when he picked it up.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 4, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hey its still a good drive. Was more curious than anything....BUT future reviews may give you a few hints to pass on to 'em on how to get the best from it ...just saying you never know what nuggets will be in there (especially the OCZ one).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2009, 08:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Oh I'll bet it can do lots, and of course I'll just sit around and wait till you guys tell me how lol!

Funny thing is, he is one to go get the latest and greatest parts out there...and then sit and stare at them because he doesn't know what he wants to do with it lol.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 4, 2009, 09:00 AM

LOL....let me rephrase that....some Solid owners who are first time SSD users MAY find some nuggets in there ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2009, 09:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I'll point him in this Direction then :)

ST

Old March 4, 2009, 05:28 PM

My System Specs

I don't suppose you could tell me what config you used for IOMeter? I installed MFT on my system and forgot to run it before I installed it. So I want something to compare it too.
Old March 5, 2009, 04:50 AM

NP from lowfat.

Do a std. Default install to a good fast C drive, make the test drive D and have no other devices attached to the system (also disconnect any NAS or SANs or any lan connections...it makes a slight dif BUT a dif none the less). Then remove all the default tests and create 8 tests one by one. Call 'em 512b, 1k, 2k,4k,8k,16k,32k,64k and make the transfer size of each the same as the name ;)
Make it 100% Random and leave it to 100% access spec. Drag the slider to 80% read / 20% write. Leave everything else as default.Set the ramp to 20 seconds and run time to 10 min. For each test run change the Que depth to 1,4,16,64, or 128....and let her rip. In the csv file add up all 8 test scores, divide by 8 and presto you got a number which will directly compare to ours. :)

Old March 5, 2009, 10:46 AM

My System Specs

Did you run each test individually for 10 minutes or add them all then run for 10 minutes? I don't know if I understand iometer fully yet.

And I don't see this que depth anywhere, I did the rest though. and am currently running it

EDIT: I see now, it runs 10 minutes for every test. Now the drive wasn't completely empty. It had 30GB or so used up, will that affect results? Because currently Iometer is taking ever last byte of the drive.

Last edited by lowfat; March 5, 2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old March 5, 2009, 11:03 AM

Basically when you make your 8 subtests add them to "assigned access specs" side of that tab. It will run each of the 8 tests for 10min 20seconds (20second ramp up where drive is warmed up but results are not counted). Que depth is set on the Disk Targets tab. Its called number of outstanding IOs...or something like that. Set it to 1,4,16,64, or 128. Walk away from computer (turn of screen saver, and power saving options!). Come back in 80 odd minutes, set que depth to the next setting. Run it again BUT Save the results to a NEW CSV file. ( I used for example x25m_IOMeter_results1.csv, and changed the 1 to 2 4 16 64 or 128 for each test).

So to set time you set it in the Test setup tab
to Set subtests (and make them) you use the Access Spec tab
to set que depth and drive to test you use the disk targets tab

Hope this helps

Old March 5, 2009, 11:29 AM

My System Specs

whoa, so you ran it for 80minutes for each 1, 4, 16, 64, 128?