Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4, 2009, 06:07 AM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
Yeah, I caught that part, but

While it's kind of died down now, (in favour of other issues) there was a lot of concern over how long SSD's would last under database and pagefile duties. And I have yet to see anyone (aside from Intel) offer any sort of concrete numbers to reassure people on this issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
MPG...there is no concrete numbers. They don't exist and prolly won't for a couple more years. Sorry. But its doubtful they will die early under normal wear and tear. Biggest thing is to never fill them to more than 50% capacity. That gives the wear leveling algorithms enough space to work with.

So are you gonna keep this drive and see if there's any basis to Anand's claims? I saw OCZ's guide on how to avoid any such issues, but I also recall an issue of the drives getting slower over time...
Old March 4, 2009, 06:24 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
So are you gonna keep this drive and see if there's any basis to Anand's claims? I saw OCZ's guide on how to avoid any such issues, but I also recall an issue of the drives getting slower over time...
We will be doing longterm testing on one of the other drives we have as the supposed lifecycle of the Intel drive has been covered extensively by other sites already.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
MPG...there is no concrete numbers. They don't exist and prolly won't for a couple more years. Sorry. But its doubtful they will die early under normal wear and tear. Biggest thing is to never fill them to more than 50% capacity. That gives the wear leveling algorithms enough space to work with.

Hmmm see I would have an issue with paying that much for a 80GB harddrive that I shouldn't fill past 40 Gigs?
I would take a performance hit for now and stick to my Raptors Doing there thing.
Excellent Review though, don't get me wrong. I suppose there are sacrifices to be made for New Tech, and if thats one of them, then right now its not good for me.

Thanks AkG,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 4, 2009, 07:01 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thank you ST. 50% is very conservative of me....more one of my rules of thumb than anything ;) You could easily get away w/ 66% to even 80% w/ no long term ill effects! Intel claims 100% w/ not ill effects BUT recently they have waffled over that. They claim any drive will have performance degradation when filled to max cap. So who knows! Personally, I'd drop 3-4 of these beasties in a raid 0 on pcie8x and fill 'em to 50-75% and not worry about it :)

And like you say bleeding edge is not for everyone, nor should it be! Give em 2yrs and they will be mainstream. THEN drop the vraptors for 'em :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2009, 07:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I agree, its why my system isn't an i7 (that and funding as well) nor even a Quad.
I like to stay back a Gen or Two of Tech just to know everything I own has all the Kinks worked out of it.

Regardless they are great looking Drives, and hopefully soon we will see more cases with specific mounting Spots for SSD's (the only one that comes to mind is the TT Element).

It would be worth it, in a few years, keep the reviews comming though. These look very nice.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 4, 2009, 07:46 AM

We will also have reviews of the Patriot V2, G.Skill Titan and an OCZ drive coming up. We could have done a roundup but we think that each drive should be shown in its own light...or lack thereof.
Old March 4, 2009, 07:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
We will also have reviews of the Patriot V2, G.Skill Titan and an OCZ drive coming up. We could have done a roundup but we think that each drive should be shown in its own light...or lack thereof.

RIght on Sky, always good to know we have more Vendors showing off their goods.
I would love to see what the OCZ drive can do or not do in comparison.
My Friend has 2 of the 120's not hooked up yet, but ready to go.
Maybe I can convince him to give me one lol!

ST

Old March 4, 2009, 08:07 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Which model ST? Solid? Apex? or Vertex?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old March 4, 2009, 08:14 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Hopefully its a Vertex
Old March 4, 2009, 08:21 AM

No Vertex yet. Apex.