Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   our new sata dvd opticals (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/14953-our-new-sata-dvd-opticals.html)

tyreman February 16, 2009 09:50 AM

our new sata dvd opticals
 
Most of us probably have these new dvd/cd players/burners in our computers.

Some of the newer ones have the sata capable wiring and some(usually older but some new still available) have the ide cabling.

other than the simplification cabling less of it thickness...and no need for jumpers(M,S, CS) hence no mb controller necessary for that

Q: Is there a speed difference or performance difference
between SATA or IDE opticals?
Yes No depends?

bojangles February 16, 2009 10:10 PM

You can probably find a bandwidth/transfer speed comparison of the two by a simple Google search. But, these SATA drives have actually been around for quite some time. I would highly suggest switching to one for better airflow, performance, and looks i.e. less clutter.

Just looked it up...IDE has transfer speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigaBIT), while SATA can have up to 5 Gbps (again, gigaBIT, not BYTE). An IDE drive with today's speeds is not possible. SATA is the way to go.

ipaine February 16, 2009 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bojangles (Post 152137)
You can probably find a bandwidth/transfer speed comparison of the two by a simple Google search. But, these SATA drives have actually been around for quite some time. I would highly suggest switching to one for better airflow, performance, and looks i.e. less clutter.

Just looked it up...IDE has transfer speeds of up to 1Gbps (gigaBIT), while SATA can have up to 5 Gbps (again, gigaBIT, not BYTE). An IDE drive with today's speeds is not possible. SATA is the way to go.


While I agree with the less clutter and better airflow, I was wondering about the part about today's speeds. From what I can tell a 20x DVD drive has a data rate of 211 Mbps (please someone correct me if I'm wrong found info on wikipedia) which is far below the 1Gbps of the IDE transfer speed.

So really for today's drives an IDE should give the same speed as a equivalent speed SATA drive. Now if there were 100x drives then I might say SATA would be better because of the speed.

bojangles February 17, 2009 12:09 AM

Yeah I see your point but it was really the hard drives that pushed optical drives to go sata. Why use old tech when new is better? Makes sense to me. There really is no point buying old hardware that has been around for ages. Imho, if you are buying an old DVD drive, it's time to upgrade. However I wouldn't care if you used an old one from a transfer to a new computer.

I was simply stating the theoretical transfer speeds of the cables. I should have mentioned the speeds of the drives. They only switched because everything else did.

JD February 17, 2009 05:11 AM

Also I foresee motherboards ditching IDE ports all together soon enough as they simple aren't needed anymore.

Eagle Eye February 17, 2009 05:36 AM

IIRC alot of sata drives are equiped with atapi support to improve compatibility with chipsets which emulates the drive as an IDE device and doesn't offer any benefits of the faster Sata interface.

I know my drive is/was configured as an IDE device even though it uses a SATA interface.

Regards,

EE

tyreman February 17, 2009 10:31 AM

I like all the comments. I had been wondering this for some time.
even though a new computer I'd probably of course get sata dvd optical.....for existing maybe ide still okay if it works.

b1lk1 February 17, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdrom17 (Post 152190)
Also I foresee motherboards ditching IDE ports all together soon enough as they simple aren't needed anymore.


I doubt that for some time. Most boards still come with Serial ports and they are as old as the hills.

Jake_HT February 17, 2009 10:54 AM

I'd say IDE will be on boards for a long time still.. hell.. my board has floppy drive support :shok:

tyreman February 17, 2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake_HT (Post 152284)
I'd say IDE will be on boards for a long time still.. hell.. my board has floppy drive support :shok:

I actually confess to still ue a floppy

I have one on board

My parallel and serial are turned off thou.

At one time parallel printers were the norm and we still see the ports provided on new 'boards


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:33 AM.