Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 03:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
I doubt that for some time. Most boards still come with Serial ports and they are as old as the hills.
I don't know, I haven't seen serial/parallel ports on enthusiast boards. I guess the value stuff still has some, or they come with headers for it.

Don't most motherboards only have a single IDE channel now? I think its a good sign to show that its slowly being phased out.

As for floppy, I think that'll stick around a wee bit longer than IDE since some people still use that for installing drivers onto XP. Can't really flash your BIOS with one anymore though since BIOSes have exceeded 1MB.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:11 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Also I foresee motherboards ditching IDE ports all together soon enough as they simple aren't needed anymore.
Forsee? Well the newest Intel X58 chipset doesn't support IDE already, infact it doesn't support floppies either. Smackover from Intel doesn't include these ports at all. 3rd party manufactures include a single IDE and floppy connector at most but use a another chip to control them since the X58 has zero support.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightRain View Post
Forsee? Well the newest Intel X58 chipset doesn't support IDE already, infact it doesn't support floppies either. Smackover from Intel doesn't include these ports at all. 3rd party manufactures include a single IDE and floppy connector at most but use a another chip to control them since the X58 has zero support.
Well they are still on the motherboard nonetheless. It would be nice if they didn't include them though since then boards would be like $5 cheaper...
Old February 17, 2009, 04:35 PM
Allstar

Quote:
and for windows XP install, using 2 drive in raid, do you still need to provide the raid driver on a floppy drive??

LOL

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old February 17, 2009, 05:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
and for windows XP install, using 2 drive in raid, do you still need to provide the raid driver on a floppy drive??

LOL
I had to, but I kept getting errors... so I used nlite instead.

Quote:
Well the newest Intel X58 chipset doesn't support IDE already, infact it doesn't support floppies either.
x58 doesn't support it? What? My IDE hard drive worked fine to take all my old files off of... and the floppy worked also? However the drivers obviously didn't load properly off of it... but It was reading that they were there and what they were named...
Old February 17, 2009, 05:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I had to, but I kept getting errors... so I used nlite instead.
Tis the best way IMO. Get the drivers directly into the CD rather than messing around with floppies.
Old February 18, 2009, 06:51 AM
MVP

Quote:
I just learned something there.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9

Old February 18, 2009, 04:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Intel chipsets have not supported IDE or floppy ports for some time, my P35 chipset board uses a JMicron contoller for IDE for intance.
They could really get rid of the follpy port off the board, if you need a floppy that bad just get a USB floppy reader and you can unplug it when it;s not needed (which in most cases will almost be never)
Old February 21, 2009, 05:52 AM
MVP

I removed the ide's in device manager shut down,took out the ide opticals,cabling, installed new sata opticals,cables, booted up into cmos and shutdown the ide channel
rebooted a couple times.

So all on satas now.
Less bios boot time and "appears" a bit quicker
I type appears because I have no documented proof of that it just seems that way
Though I have sata hd's on so its only got to go to sata controller now.
Mushkin #997007
Noctua NH-D14
Gigabyte GTX 660
Seasonic X-660
Corsair 540 Cube
Noctua case fans
Intel Speed Demon x 2

using Prime 95 27.9