Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2009, 12:10 AM
MVP

Default Preparing Current HD For New Build

Looking to do my first build tommorow. I'm pretty confident with everything except for the hard drive.

I'm looking to use my "old" hard drive - (Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000 Sata II) labeled as Nvidia Stripe in Everest. It is coming out of an OEM (HP), it currently has a partition for the factory image. I'd like to make this as painless as possible (wipe out entire HD).

One concern I have is from reading guides I may need a floppy drive to install the sata drivers. Could someone clear this up for me?

Current Mobo

Asus M2n78-la

New Mobo

Gigabyte MA790GP DS4H

Thanks

*Using the same OS as the last computer (Vista 64bit Home Prem)
Old February 10, 2009, 03:09 AM
Top Prospect

ok I don't exactly know what you're asking but I'm guessing that you're wondering the best way to wipe the drive clean?
well there are a number of ways you could do this. You don't need a floppy disk or drive if you have a DVD drive...

You can wipe the drive, partitons and everything through the Vista setup process (once you've moved everything over to the new build)

Just install your old HDD, insert the Vista DVD, change BIOS settings to boot from CD (in case you don't already know this ;) ) Your motherboard should detect the drive(s) automatically if you've installed them correctly.

Once in the setup screen for Vista, you should come to an option that lets you select which HDD to install Vista on... as far as I know, you don't have to format the drive anymore (like with XP) Vista does that for you when you tell it to install.

As for your partition question, there should be a 'drive options (advanced)' button on the bottom right... that'll let you delete, edit and create partitions...

Hope this was helpful!
Cheers
- Serenity
Old February 10, 2009, 09:42 AM
MVP

Sounds easy enough, thanks!