Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   dvd trouble part 2 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/14611-dvd-trouble-part-2-a.html)

t0m February 6, 2009 05:09 AM

dvd trouble part 2
 
ok so my curse continues with dvd writers. i replaced my sata burner that was giving me trouble (the thread for that is a few posts down) and have since been through 2 or 3 more dvd writers. my most recent one (gsa h22l) seems to be on its way out but its not just dying like the rest of them have. this just started yesterday...any time i am using my dvd drive, the rest of my pc chokes up/starts hitching and skipping. my mouse pointer looks like its going at about 3 frames per second, my winamp starts skipping etc. it happens when i am copying a file off the drive, watching a movie from the disc or burning a disc (though the burned disc seems to work fine). burning also now takes way longer than normal (normal being a few days ago when it would finish a disc in ~30 mins. now it takes upwards of 120 mins with the same discs/settings).

up until recently i have never had a problem with a burner, aside from the occasional coaster. about 7 years ago i got a 8x plextor cd burner for $350, and it still :censored:ing works...in the last year i have been through about $200 worth of these crap $30 burners and its driving me nuts.

anyone know what is causing this skipping/extended burning?

can anyone recommend a dl capable burner that will last more than ~50 burns?

is it possible that someone has placed a gypsy curse on me? if so, anyone know how to get rid of a gypsy curse? im more of a tech guy and my knowledge of curses and black magic is pretty limited....:bananafunky:

freaked February 6, 2009 06:57 AM

is DMA turned on for the burner?

t0m February 6, 2009 07:40 AM

ill check when i get up tomorrow. im pretty sure it is, and it had been working for about two months with none of these issues. i also havnt changed any settings or installed anything at all recently...

ipaine February 6, 2009 07:17 PM

Well I have that drive but mine is IDE not sata. I have experienced those same issues before as well.

I have been able to narrow it down (somewhat anyways) to the media I was using. You see some times, more often than not, if I use Memorex DL DVDs it will crap out on me. It would slow down the entire machine, cause things to skip, and even lock up the entire machine and I would have to do a hard boot. Even then it owuld actually make my drive disappear from the bios and windows. To fix this I would have to manually eject the disk and then once the disk was out I could reboot the machine and it would see the drive again.

That only happens when I use the Memorex DL DVDs, now I use Verbatim only. The thing is I still have information on those disks so I do have to occasionally have to hope that it will work when I put the disk in. It's pretty much a 50/50 chance that I will be able to read the data.

So my question/advice to you would be, are you using the memorex disks? And if so see if another disk, like verbatim, works.

Otherwise, you could also look to see if there is a firmware update for the drive.

AkG February 6, 2009 08:47 PM

Stupid question but...
Are you sure its the burner and not the media.
What media are you using?
Is it made in Japan? If not its less than optimal. Made In Inida usually = Mosser Bauer. MIJ is MCC or TY. MITaiwan is Optodisc or Ritek or other crap mfg'ers.
Is it +R or - R. Dif drive mfg'ers prefer one over the other.
IMHO the best media for single layer (which doesn't cost a fortune) is TY (Taiyo Yueden). Blank Media has 'em in spindles of a hundred for under 50 bucks. Verbatium USED to be MCC (Mitsbushi Chem Corp) but now is made in Ritek plants and has gone down hill in quality BUT it still the best for Dual Layer. INHO DL is not worth the extra money or hassle. YMMV :)

IF it is the burner, Samsung or Pioneer (+R company vs -R company) are about the best burn quality wise right now, though the latest Sammys are NOT as good as the older gens. LG is a good all round burner which I put in builds where longevity is more important than burn quality. Liteons are hit or miss.

In any case download and use Nero's CdSpeed2000 disc quality scanner and see what your results are. PI's should avg under 1 for REALLY good burns, 0 PIOs are perferable but as long as not spikes or clusters and total is under 20 its a good burn. NO PIFs. The jitter should be as close to flat line as possible. These are extremely conservative numbers as I prefer .05 or less PI avgs, 0 PIOs and 0 PIFS. But I'm a control freak.

1Tanker February 6, 2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0m (Post 148130)
ok so my curse continues with dvd writers. i replaced my sata burner that was giving me trouble (the thread for that is a few posts down) and have since been through 2 or 3 more dvd writers. my most recent one (gsa h22l) seems to be on its way out but its not just dying like the rest of them have. this just started yesterday...any time i am using my dvd drive, the rest of my pc chokes up/starts hitching and skipping. my mouse pointer looks like its going at about 3 frames per second, my winamp starts skipping etc. it happens when i am copying a file off the drive, watching a movie from the disc or burning a disc (though the burned disc seems to work fine). burning also now takes way longer than normal (normal being a few days ago when it would finish a disc in ~30 mins. now it takes upwards of 120 mins with the same discs/settings).

up until recently i have never had a problem with a burner, aside from the occasional coaster. about 7 years ago i got a 8x plextor cd burner for $350, and it still :censored:ing works...in the last year i have been through about $200 worth of these crap $30 burners and its driving me nuts.

anyone know what is causing this skipping/extended burning?

can anyone recommend a dl capable burner that will last more than ~50 burns?

is it possible that someone has placed a gypsy curse on me? if so, anyone know how to get rid of a gypsy curse? im more of a tech guy and my knowledge of curses and black magic is pretty limited....:bananafunky:

Are you using overburn? I have it set to overburn, but only 82min. for an 80min. disk. I doubt that's the problem though. GL :biggrin:

Duh...i'm thinking of CD's. :doh: :whistle:

t0m February 7, 2009 03:44 AM

it could be my media because im just using cheapo riteks, but this problem started about half way through a spindle that was working perfectly for the last 10 or so discs i have burned. i doubt media had anything to do with the last few burners i have gone through because they literally died on me (as in, tray not opening, blinking light on the front, not recognised by the os or bios any more etc). it also happens when i copy or access files on discs i have already burned...as well as retail dvd movies. it seems that if my pc is accessing the dvd drive in any way it starts to hitch up and choke my pc. dma is on by the way.

thanks for the tips so far, hopefully i wont have to go to a spiritual adviser to clear this up :bananafunky:


AKG - this burner is an LG...are you recommending them for longevity? in this case what exact model/manufacturer would you recommend me to replace mine with. i want to have a burner outlast a 50 pack of dvd-dls (which literally has not happened since my pioneer a04 died after 3 good years of service). i also would prefer a sata because this ide cable is the only wire visible in my case and it bugs me :haha:

AkG February 7, 2009 04:24 AM

Thats strange to hear as LGs are usually a good long term users. IF you can find them the Samsung 203 are great burners (newer gen 223 are OK but don't give as good burn quality). Must have fed 500 or 600 through my 203s so far. IF you only use cheap media I'd go with a Pioneer. Especially if you use -Rs. They seem the most forgiving....though Ritek DLs blow...so it will be like trying to spit shine a turd. I use only +R so I can't give specific models for pioneer. But I had great success with them in the past.

That being said it sounds like you have real problems if your system is killing burners before 50 burns! You might want to head on over to the cd freaks forum as they are the real experts when it comes to burners.

Eagle Eye February 7, 2009 05:23 AM

What about the cable? Have you tried replacing that t0m?

EE

ipaine February 7, 2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t0m (Post 148489)
it could be my media because im just using cheapo riteks, but this problem started about half way through a spindle that was working perfectly for the last 10 or so discs i have burned.


That is what happened with those Memorex DL discs, I managed to burn a bunch of stuff (almost everything off of MSDN) without any issues, and now of course I'm very lucky to be able to get any of the info off of the discs or burn anything with them.


Quote:

Originally Posted by AkG (Post 148444)
Verbatium USED to be MCC (Mitsbushi Chem Corp) but now is made in Ritek plants and has gone down hill in quality BUT it still the best for Dual Layer. INHO DL is not worth the extra money or hassle. YMMV :)

I just used DVD identifier on one of my brand new Verbatim DVD-R 16x and it reports it as MCC, but I do agree that they are still the best for DL discs. And generally are not worth the hassle, unless you have a 8GB iso that needs to be burnt.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:58 PM.