Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 7, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yes Verbatim still shows up as MCC BUT its made in a Ritek facility "to MCC specs"....which is BS. Ritek QC (even when done to a higher std) is still shite. Check out the label on the packaging, in small print it will state country of origin. MCC factories only operate in Japan, but MCCC subs out a lot of their shite lines now to Taiwan or India (ritek or Moser Bauer). This is why its so difficult to FIND Made In Japan MCC nowadays. IF you got MIJ Verbatium...hold onto them for dear life...and buy up all the rest you can find. All this hassle is why I avoid DL media and only use Taiyo Yuden. TY = MIJ and MIJ only.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 7, 2009, 03:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

AkG - originally i thought my old mb might be the cause of my problems. i had a 680i mb that never worked properly, rma'ed it and got another dud, now im using a rampage formula that seems to be a rock of stability...

Eagle Eye - i have tried a few different cables since this started and i am currently using one that was verified working in two quick tests on other systems. im almost ready to get out the multimeter and actually test it now though. its a brand new cable that came with my new mb and the only times it has been used are on this system and during the tests i did on the two other systems.

ipaine - i can read the data off any of the discs i have managed to burn on this thing...just while im reading it off my pc stutters and chokes.

im almost at the point where i would be happy to buy regular dvds (as opposed to dl's) and just burn through twice as many discs...but then storing the actual discs starts to become an issue (already have boxes of splindles). most of what im using these for is backing up video projects. i like to take a project (and all related files), render out the base parts in uncompressed video (which is upwards of one meg/frame...@30 fps thats 1800 megs per minute, and it just gets higher with higher resolutions) and back it all up to a dl so i dont have to sit on it and continually buy hard drives to store it all.

anyway, thanks again for all the tips. ill try to find some made in japan discs and see if that clears things up. ill also look for that samsung 203.
Old February 28, 2009, 02:13 AM
MVP

My System Specs

update, i got some verbatims and everything still stutters when im burning on them, but all my burns still work fine.
Old March 9, 2009, 02:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What programs are you using to burn with? like its been said 50 burns is horible and no one can be that unlucky to get 4 bad drives...
Old March 11, 2009, 01:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i only use imgburn these days. on my previous and current system i have never installed another burning app. been using it since way before all this started and never had a problem.
Old March 11, 2009, 01:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0m View Post
i only use imgburn these days. on my previous and current system i have never installed another burning app. been using it since way before all this started and never had a problem.
I don't know what your situation is but I'll give you a bit of insight into something I had done lately.

Previous I was running a P35 board and went to a P45 board and then switch to yet another P45 board. When loading up and burning a movie with ImgBurn my machine would stutter and halt to a crawl when it tried to initialize the drive. I tried many different things and many different settings but no matter what I did nothing worked.

Well I accidentally nuked my registry and had to do a reformat and afterwards guess what? No more stutter or stalls.

Perhaps you need a re-install of Windows?
Old March 11, 2009, 05:42 PM
MVP

My System Specs

good call enaberif. i have had so many burners die recently i just wrote this one off as a hardware failure with the rest of them.

not sure what could have happened to my registry (i havnt installed any new software for months) but windows is windows so i wont count it out as a suspect until i do a test.