Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 22, 2009, 06:12 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
1) How old is this computer?
2) Did you install this hard drive BEFORE or after SP3 install?
I didn't buythe hard drive yet and SP3 is already there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Well based on your model number, it cannot use more than 40 GB - unless they updated the bios but I personally have not heard about any updates, so I assume its limit is 40GB. As to enaberif, he's talking about an OVERLAY driver that is loaded - from what I recall this is not used anymore isn't that obsolete anyway ? Those allowed you to use higher capacity drives - The LIMIT I am talking about is not an OS limit, since that is irrelevant now, windows XP SP3 and VISTA do support large drives and 48bit LBA, what I was refering to is your motherboard's BIOS, and the 330 WS you are using is limited to 40GB IDE....
It really take so much Watts for another HD? The purpose of that machine will be to collect dust from the garage and diagnostic motor problem. The only reason a need so much space is for the AllDATA and Mitchell on Demand5. Both together takes around 200GB...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
Even if I can make the upgrade, does the PSU will still limit me?
Old January 22, 2009, 07:16 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
It really take so much Watts for another HD? The purpose of that machine will be to collect dust from the garage and diagnostic motor problem. The only reason a need so much space is for the AllDATA and Mitchell on Demand5. Both together takes around 200GB...
I think you got mixed up here, DarKStar is referring to the model 330WS (Work Station) not the 330Watts power supply. A hard drive only takes 10 to 20 watts so you should have no problem with the power supply. If you do get it to work, I would suggest you hook up the second hard drive to the secondary IDE port as a Master, if your CD/DVD drive is already on it change it to slave. If you don’t know how to do this there are jumpers on the back of the drives with diagrams on the back or the top of the drive to show how to set the jumpers. And the master drive gets plugged in at the end of the IDE cable and the slave go’s to the middle connection.

Here's a guide to install a IDE hard drive.
Install Hard Drive - A guide to installing a IDE hard drive
Old January 22, 2009, 07:29 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
I think you got mixed up here, DarKStar is referring to the model 330WS (Work Station) not the 330Watts power supply. A hard drive only takes 10 to 20 watts so you should have no problem with the power supply. If you do get it to work, I would suggest you hook up the second hard drive to the secondary IDE port as a Master, if your CD/DVD drive is already on it change it to slave. If you don’t know how to do this there are jumpers on the back of the drives with diagrams on the back or the top of the drive to show how to set the jumpers. And the master drive gets plugged in at the end of the IDE cable and the slave go’s to the middle connection.

Here's a guide to install a IDE hard drive.
Install Hard Drive - A guide to installing a IDE hard drive
Thanks for the heads up...

EDIT: I feel stupid right know... ( Watts vs. WS )

The DVD and the ZIP drive are linked together, floppy alone and the two HD will be linked with the same IDE cable like to picture show.

Then to resume all the topic:

I will be able to add a second 320GB HD in slave mode with the IDE cable show above if I use the Intel application accelerator.
Old January 22, 2009, 07:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
EDIT: I feel stupid right know... ( Watts vs. WS )
LOL happens to all of us.

Quote:
The DVD and the ZIP drive are linked together, floppy alone and the two HD will be linked with the same IDE cable like to picture show.
Floppy will be on a different cable by itself (looks like IDE cable but not as wide)
That should leave the primary slave (Second plug on the first IDE cable) free for the second hard drive.
Old January 22, 2009, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDogZero View Post
LOL happens to all of us.

Floppy will be on a different cable by itself (looks like IDE cable but not as wide)
That should leave the primary slave (Second plug on the first IDE cable) free for the second hard drive.
True.

I should receive my new 640GB hard drive next week, so before I buy the new HD for the Dell 330 , I will check if it's working.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Actually... Gray is usually master and black is slave because of the drive placement.

But it don't matter as long as the drives are properly set as Slave/Master
Old January 22, 2009, 08:21 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspot69 View Post
I didn't buy the hard drive yet and SP3 is already there.

Even if I can make the upgrade, does the PSU will still limit me?
Speculation is worthless .... the facts are available with a little research.
for example taken from this doc http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2079-001026.pdf:

- standard 40-pin, 80-conductor IDE interface cable (I had said 80 pin in a previous post - there is a ground for each data line in an 80 conductor cable)

- Windows XP (Service Pack 1 or higher) and 2000 (Service Pack 3 or higher)
If you are running one of these operating systems, run the Data Lifeguard Tools Installation Tutorial, carefully following the on-screen instructions to set up your larger than 137 GB hard drive without a controller card.

WD 40GB and 80GB EIDE drives have a Spinup Power Consumption of 17W and Seek of 14W ( all other considerations are lower). The WD 250GB and 320GB EIDE drives have a Spinup Power Consumption of 21.4W and Seek of 12.5W. This is not significant until you start adding many drives.

Do the math and see for yourself
eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Lite v2.5

Load data from DVDs or just for vehicles in use and no extra storage would be needed.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:24 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Here's some more info taken from Intel's site.

Quote:
You can use the Intel® Application Accelerator to access the full capacity of hard drives that are larger than 137GB on supported Intel® chipsets with a supported operating system. The Intel Application Accelerator supports hard drives that are greater than 137GB -- which is also referred to as 48-bit logical block addressing (LBA).
Windows* XP, Windows 2000, Windows Me, Windows 98 SE, Windows 98, and Windows NT* 4.0 do not provide native support for hard drives that are larger than 137GB. 48-bit LBA support can be added with Windows* XP Service Pack 1 †and Windows* 2000 Service Pack 4 †. Please contact Microsoft* for additional information. In order to enable hard drives larger than 137GB, you will need to install the Intel Application Accelerator or install a 3rd party 48-bit LBA controller card.

Although the Intel Application Accelerator supports 48-bit LBA hard drives, it is not designed to, nor is it capable of, modifying partition sizes. When using Windows* Me, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 98 you may need to install a 3rd party hard drive partitioning software such as PartitionMagic* or Partition Commander* in order to increase the partition size to the hard drive's full capacity.
Quote:
48-bit BIOS support is only needed if you are using Windows* Me, Windows 98 SE, or Windows 98. While 48-bit LBA BIOS support is not needed for Windows XP or Windows 2000, it may add certain 48-bit BIOS functionality. This additional functionality is limited to items such as the BIOS setup menu, Power-On Self Test (POST) screen, and operation in a MS-DOS*-based environment.
So it looks like you should be fine, just install the second harddrive and then install the Intel Application Accelerator on your primary drive (C drive). Note just in case, there is a special way to install the drive if you want it as your primary drive. Here's the link from Intel:
Intel® Application Accelerator - Large Hard Drive Installation Instructions
Old January 22, 2009, 08:56 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Actually... Gray is usually master and black is slave because of the drive placement.

But it don't matter as long as the drives are properly set as Slave/Master
I checked yesterday and Dell take the time to print Master/Slave on the cable..

So like I said. I will try with my new 640GB and if it work well then I will pruchase a new one.
Old January 22, 2009, 09:05 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
Load data from DVDs or just for vehicles in use and no extra storage would be needed.
I know, but with your hands full of oil, greases... I don't want to deal with DVD and if I'm not wrong, It take around 30 Double-layers DVD for the both programs.. So for around 70$ the HD will cost less in time.