Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucklaz View Post
it passed the short drive self test as well as the long drive self test.
long DST passed means you have no bad sectors on yoru HDD and the full surface test passed. It does not predict mechanical failure, the same with SMART.

Some dirves can make funny noises and last a very long time, while some drives can fail within days, weeks, months....... Make sure you have a backup - I would not take chances on drives that make unusual noises.

Quote:
I've just recorded the sound by putting my headphones on the ground infront of the computer, will upload it and post it when I get back home tonight.
Does anyone know where I can upload a small sound file?
Can't wait to hear it -
Old January 21, 2009, 10:25 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ok I listened to your audio - Does this noise happen all the time when your drive is IDLE or only when it is being accessed (you can see the HDD led)????

Yes it does sound louder than all my seagates, but it sounds like the heads seeking - I don't hear any klonks, chirping, humming, loud clicks, it sounds like normal seeking, although louder - but maybe it's caused by the sensitivity of your mic ! If you were to tell me that you hear this noise while accessing the drive, I would tell you it sounds like seeking noise - However, if you told me you hear this constantly even when the drive is idle, i'd tell you it defiantely is NOT normal - it sounds like a drive being heavily accessed. Reboot your computer and enter your bios and wait there, to prevent it from loading your OS, listen for any noises ? Otherwise, if the noise occurs once your OS is loaded and does it constantly you might be running something that is accessing your drive (automatic virus scanner, indexing, or in some cases virus/spyware :D)
Old January 21, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I just listened to your sound bit. I've used a lot of noisy drives(10,000 RPM, 15,000 RPM) in my day, and, frankly it doesn't sound good. It sounds like a mechanical issue to me, I'd RMA it, even if just for the peace of mind.

I've never heard a consumer level drive be that loud either, healthy noises or not, and it does not sound healthy.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:14 AM
MVP

So I just got off the phone with an NCIX RMA guy and he says he cannot hear the noise over the phone, I even held it up right next to the case and he said that the faint sound he could hear, sounded like a healthy hdd.

Apparently, the way they check for defects is to run SeaTools and that if I run it myself and it passes then it for sure is not defect. Maybe its just the way seagates are made, and I thought Seagate and WD were the best for hdd.

It seems like I can't send it back then... Is there anything else I might beable to do? I've never done an RMA before so I don't really know if I should push harder.

I've only run the Short DSt and the long DST so far. I'm gonna run the remaining tests.
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500gb
RAM: G.Skill 4GB @ 576mhz (4.4.4.12)
PSU: Seasonic SS-400ET
Old January 22, 2009, 10:22 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKStar View Post
Ok I listened to your audio - Does this noise happen all the time when your drive is IDLE or only when it is being accessed (you can see the HDD led)????

Yes it does sound louder than all my seagates, but it sounds like the heads seeking - I don't hear any klonks, chirping, humming, loud clicks, it sounds like normal seeking, although louder - but maybe it's caused by the sensitivity of your mic ! If you were to tell me that you hear this noise while accessing the drive, I would tell you it sounds like seeking noise - However, if you told me you hear this constantly even when the drive is idle, i'd tell you it defiantely is NOT normal - it sounds like a drive being heavily accessed. Reboot your computer and enter your bios and wait there, to prevent it from loading your OS, listen for any noises ? Otherwise, if the noise occurs once your OS is loaded and does it constantly you might be running something that is accessing your drive (automatic virus scanner, indexing, or in some cases virus/spyware :D)

Yeah, I know for sure that it's the hdd reading and writing. It only makes the sound when being accessed heavily.

I think I'm just going to keep the hdd as long as it passes the remaining tests. I'm starting to think that these baracudas in general are loud. Maybe my next purchase will be a ssd for the os and game files :)

Just curious, if your hdd bricked on you guys, would you send it in even if it had autologin enabled for msn and steam and stuff? I wonder how they deal with defective hdd. As I'm sure they are a gold mine of personal and financial information.
Old January 22, 2009, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
So I just got off the phone with an NCIX RMA guy and he says he cannot hear the noise over the phone, I even held it up right next to the case and he said that the faint sound he could hear, sounded like a healthy hdd.

Apparently, the way they check for defects is to run SeaTools and that if I run it myself and it passes then it for sure is not defect. Maybe its just the way seagates are made, and I thought Seagate and WD were the best for hdd.

It seems like I can't send it back then... Is there anything else I might beable to do? I've never done an RMA before so I don't really know if I should push harder.

I've only run the Short DSt and the long DST so far. I'm gonna run the remaining tests.
Contact Seagate directly for an RMA, or call NCIX again, tell them you won't settle for a less than perfect drive. SeaTools, or any diagnostic tool really will only prove the drive not corrupt, sectors aren't dieing and that the performance is correct. They won't and can't tell you if there is a mechanical abnormality, which could lead to a failure eventually.

I'm sorry, defective or not, IMO you should refuse to accept anything less than perfect. That clicking is too high pitched for my liking. Sure the drive works NOW, but what about 2-3 months down the road when you've filled it up with data?
Old January 22, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My brother's PC (gateway junk pc) hard drive makes that exact noise when being accessed. But it is definitely not that loud! It's a Hitachi 250GB.
Old January 22, 2009, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

Well I think the NCIX guy is right - I listened to your sound again, and it seeking noise, but it IS loud to be honest, but it could be caused by sensitive mic settings. Keep in mind your HDD can fail at any time, even when making no noise at all - just because you are told it is safe does NOT mean it won't fail keep that in mind. Contact Seagate directly and let them know about the problem, send them that audio file - but they will send you a refurb drive and odds are it may have the same issues or worse, keep that in mind.
The SeaTools are surface tests, seek and I/O and SMART threshold testing, so while all tests can pass OK , SMART is not meant for predicting mechanical failures.
Old January 22, 2009, 01:31 PM
MVP

I think I'll contact seagate directly and ask them about it aswell, but if I'm going to RMA I would rather do it through NCIX as I paid for their express RMA service. The NCIX RMA guy made it seem like if the drive was working fine and it passed the SeaTools tests that I would not beable to RMA it.

Lets just say I did rma it and they found nothign to be wrong, would they make me pay for the shipping? or even the new product?
Old January 22, 2009, 02:27 PM
MVP

ok, calling seagate ain't gonna work, was on hold for an hour before i hung up lol.

anyways, before I give NCIX a call again, I just want to be sure that this noise is unacceptable and its not just me losing my mind

VoiceVSHDD.wma - DivShare
here is a clip of me talking, with my headset on and my head positioned directly infront of the computer. My head is about 7 or 8 inches away from the computer

just hoping I can resolve this quickly, before my express RMA runs out

added:
keep in mind that it's not ALWAYS like that, thats what it sounds like when I set it to defragmentation. its quiet if its not being accessed at all.

Last edited by Bucklaz; January 22, 2009 at 02:40 PM.