Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default WD 640 Black SATA ....Not SATA 2

Hey guys,
Still awaiting my I7 stuff...Mobo n true..see the Mobo is now in Stock so hopefully this week, as for the True....?..not sure. Anyhow, will be using my 74 GB Raptor and picked up this 640 this evening
Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 7200RPM 32MB Dual Proc 3.5IN SATA Hard Drive OEM 5YR Mfg Warranty

Just realized (after purchase) that it is a SATA vs SATA2 is that a big deal? Will be going into the EvgaX58 Board with 3 x 2GB Dominator 1600.
I have heard nothing but good things about this Drive, hence part of my decision, plus thought the price was decent (thanks Chilly)....

Any thoughts on SATA vs SATA 2 would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

Old January 19, 2009, 10:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

Its a SATA2 drive they just labeled it wrong.. and even if it was only sata don't matter .. you never see full sata2 speeds anyways.
Old January 19, 2009, 10:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you check the Data Transfer Rate = 300MBps, which is Sata2...

Old January 19, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
and even if it was only sata don't matter .. you never see full sata2 speeds anyways.
Thanks Enab....that was kinda what I thought.....the 1TB Black is labelled SATA 2...not this one...oh well...

Old January 19, 2009, 10:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
If you check the Data Transfer Rate = 300MBps, which is Sata2...
Yep thanks again..

Old January 19, 2009, 10:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I kind of chuckled there when I read the OP. Better to check the manufacturer's website first for specs RJ, but you already know that.

WD Caviar Black 640 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD6401AALS )

Old January 19, 2009, 10:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
I kind of chuckled there when I read the OP. Better to check the manufacturer's website first for specs RJ, but you already know that.
If its an item under $100 I don't "dig too deep" prior to hitting the "Accept" button...of course I purchase then I dig

Nice link btw....like thier 3D view of the Drive....had to laugh, along wiith my old Compaq, I got the old ladies old 5yr Rig going the other day as well....20GB HD

Old January 19, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Jeeze you've been married that long!! At least you kept her longer than some of computer hardware you've gone through lately.
Old January 19, 2009, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
If its an item under $100 I don't "dig too deep" prior to hitting the "Accept" button...of course I purchase then I dig

Nice link btw....like thier 3D view of the Drive....had to laugh, along wiith my old Compaq, I got the old ladies old 5yr Rig going the other day as well....20GB HD
Yeah, that is pretty cool. I've been on their site numerous times, but never checked those out....i like the intelliseek illustrations.
Old January 20, 2009, 12:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Jeeze you've been married that long!! At least you kept her longer than some of computer hardware you've gone through lately.

Ahhhhhh....she's my 2nd wife ......I stepped up the first one after 10 yrs.....great Step-up Program btw....agree to pay $1200 / month in Child Support and "you to can have the new improved model" ....without the "headaches"