Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OMG that has disaster written all over it. People were angry, now they're just going to be hostile.

Sorry to hear that guys hopefully things will work out for you and a fix comes soon, I'd be just as unimpressed.
Old January 19, 2009, 07:48 PM
Rookie

To those who have the 500 GB 7200.11 Seagate, DO NOT FLASH your drive with the posted firmware even if your drive is in the list of models that are in need of a firmware upgrade. It appears those that flashed their firmware bricked their drives. More details here on the Seagate Forums: Does the new firmware SD1A break 500GB cudas?
Old January 19, 2009, 08:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Seems everything at going from minor issues, to major issues at Seagate right now.

I hope they get their act together, competition is a good thing.
Old January 19, 2009, 08:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclo View Post
To those who have the 500 GB 7200.11 Seagate, DO NOT FLASH your drive with the posted firmware even if your drive is in the list of models that are in need of a firmware upgrade. It appears those that flashed their firmware bricked their drives. More details here on the Seagate Forums: Does the new firmware SD1A break 500GB cudas?

Just read thae article on TH, it must suck to be one of those who just bricked your drive but I have to admit I laughed pretty hard.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:18 PM
Allstar

Looks like I dodged the bullet there....It sure did give me a scare though, I left it just sittin' there for an hour while I searched around the web on another computer to see what to do, finally I just hit reset.
Might jump on a couple of new drives pretty quick and wait this out.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

And this is exactly why I said Seagate wasn't ready to give out the firmware.

Even DOING so they are having problems.

Cest la vie.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:29 PM
Allstar

That's just due to poor quality assurance. It's their own damn fault. If they had properly engineered the firmware in the first place, they wouldn't be in this mess. And, they could have publicly acknowledged the problem, appologized, and taken the time to engineer a proper fix. but instead they released something that doesn't work for anybody.

And the coverup they tried to pull on their forums just pushed them from just incompetent to just plain evil. This is not how to treat customers and handle crisises. Look at maple leaf foods on how to handle catastrophic errors and pr nightmares. seagate is so obviously mismanaged now.

Heads are going to roll over this, and in the midst of an economic downturn, they're not likely to recover from this mess in a long time.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It should be written policy that attempting to flash your HDD without formal confirmation, instruction or further sending your drive in for RMA grounds for your warranty being nullified.

Its a huge risk with HDDs, CD-ROM/DVD-RW drives and motherboards(bios updates) the potential for problems is far to great simply because people really have no idea what they're doing and the calculated risks involved.

I kind of have to laugh here and thankful my drives were DOA in the first place.

EE
Old January 19, 2009, 09:47 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
It should be written policy that attempting to flash your HDD without formal confirmation, instruction or further sending your drive in for RMA grounds for your warranty being nullified.

Its a huge risk with HDDs, CD-ROM/DVD-RW drives and motherboards(bios updates) the potential for problems is far to great simply because people really have no idea what they're doing and the calculated risks involved.

I kind of have to laugh here and thankful my drives were DOA in the first place.

EE
Why would you say that? I've flashed many many motherboards that were far more difficult than this flash was supposed to be. If me flashing my drive gives them an excuse to void the warranty, they should ship replacement drives out to all involved.
You'd pretty much have to be brain dead to not be able to follow the instructions. The official flash was obviosly written by the same people that buggered up SD04,SD14,and SD15
The more I read about these drives the more I get pissed off.
Old January 19, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewguy001 View Post
That's just due to poor quality assurance. It's their own damn fault. If they had properly engineered the firmware in the first place, they wouldn't be in this mess. And, they could have publicly acknowledged the problem, appologized, and taken the time to engineer a proper fix. but instead they released something that doesn't work for anybody.

And the coverup they tried to pull on their forums just pushed them from just incompetent to just plain evil. This is not how to treat customers and handle crisises. Look at maple leaf foods on how to handle catastrophic errors and pr nightmares. seagate is so obviously mismanaged now.

Heads are going to roll over this, and in the midst of an economic downturn, they're not likely to recover from this mess in a long time.
Yeah....this really has the possibilty to sink them. First, they acquire Maxtor(bad idea), then they start having severe QC problems(then screw with the customers WRT to said QC issues)... right around the time they(very stupidly)cut their warranty from 5-3years(5 year warranty was one of their greatest selling strengths). This all is a very generous belated Christmas gift for WD and Samsung(and even Hitachi).