Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 15, 2009, 11:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I was talking to a guy who works at a local computer store and he says that the Seagates are coming back bad on a greater level than before, and I have heard others say similar. So if I see reports like this, even from the Inq, I tend to believe it.
You can't use a local computer store as an example.

A store that may sell 50 hard drives in a month can't compared to a company that sells thousands.
Old January 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

In a way you could Curt.. local stores to some people like ncix, canada computers.. they sell massive amounts of stuff, and sure they have failure rates. They are lots of people in BC, who live very near or touching distances to ncix..

But yeah he's right, 50 hard drives for ncix is peanuts... so that really isn't all that big of a deal..
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution
Old January 15, 2009, 11:53 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggs78 View Post
In a way you could Curt.. local stores to some people like ncix, canada computers.. they sell massive amounts of stuff, and sure they have failure rates. They are lots of people in BC, who live very near or touching distances to ncix..

But yeah he's right, 50 hard drives for ncix is peanuts... so that really isn't all that big of a deal..
I'm not talking about stores like that.. I'm talking about small mom & pop shops that do $3000 in sales a month that sell on average like 50 hard drives a month.

If of those 50 hdds 10 came back that might look like a high return rate but switch that around and if you sell 1000 hard drives and 50 come back its not as noticeable or something to think about it.
Old January 15, 2009, 12:41 PM
Allstar

Well, I solved my dilemma without spending any money by shuffling non critical backups to the 1T drive freeing up enuff space on one of my other drives to do the job.
This conversation did get me thinking about a mirrored raid for this purpose ( I could even use the drive in question as one of the drives).
Old January 15, 2009, 01:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
I'm not talking about stores like that.. I'm talking about small mom & pop shops that do $3000 in sales a month that sell on average like 50 hard drives a month.

If of those 50 hdds 10 came back that might look like a high return rate but switch that around and if you sell 1000 hard drives and 50 come back its not as noticeable or something to think about it.
The stores I contacted are far from small they are big franchises - and contacted their distributors too, that sell to other stores as well and have had the same pattern of comments all around - The same was said about Maxtor too I recall and then they had that massive failure and if I recall Dell canceled a million of those drives or something, I know Maxtor was in deep shit in the end - Right now things are NOT looking good for Seagate, they DID acknowledge problems with their newer drive and issued a firmware fix, however, people are very upset because of how Seagate reacted and keeping quit and evasive about the problems - this raises even more suspicion and not wanted to give any interview or talk to reporters, media, etc. If I knew that nothing was wrong with my product, I would stand up and defend it, not be evasive and treat customers like shit.
Old January 15, 2009, 01:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post

If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck it's a pretty good indication.

It's one thing to see a lot of complaints about a product that sells more than any other in the field, but (like we saw with the single sided ballistix) there is a point where a fair minded person can make assumptions based on a greatly increased volume of complaints, especially when those complaints start showing up from folks who obviously have an idea of what they're talking about.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old January 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
Allstar

Looks like I wont' be buying seagate again in the future, what with their reduced warranty and this fiasco. /backs up his 750gb seagate drive that shakes like a rattlesnake
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old January 15, 2009, 08:11 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Darn, my new 500gb seagate has that SD15 firmware. I think I'll pick up a 640gb WD Caviar Black for backups just in case.
Old January 16, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sorry, all I see is another complaint fest about Seagate since people are still stinging from the warranty reduction. Noone seemed to care much about the Nvidia exploding laptop GPU problem that was much more severe. Seems like when a popular bandwagon comes along, alot of you guys jump right on it. I have 2 1TB and a 500GB Seagate (without this defect) and I will continue to happily use them for all my storage needs. I replace all my important drives ever 2 years anyways and I keep hard backups on all my important data because NO HARDDRIVE ON THE PLANET MADE BY ANYONE should be solely trusted for data that you cannot afford to lose. I have lost drives from all manufacturers for no logical reason. Seagate does acknowledge an issue atleast and is working on a fix. If you all hate your drives so much then sell the damn things and stop whining about it already.
Old January 16, 2009, 04:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Sorry, all I see is another complaint fest about Seagate since people are still stinging from the warranty reduction. Noone seemed to care much about the Nvidia exploding laptop GPU problem that was much more severe. Seems like when a popular bandwagon comes along, alot of you guys jump right on it. I have 2 1TB and a 500GB Seagate (without this defect) and I will continue to happily use them for all my storage needs. I replace all my important drives ever 2 years anyways and I keep hard backups on all my important data because NO HARDDRIVE ON THE PLANET MADE BY ANYONE should be solely trusted for data that you cannot afford to lose. I have lost drives from all manufacturers for no logical reason. Seagate does acknowledge an issue atleast and is working on a fix. If you all hate your drives so much then sell the damn things and stop whining about it already.
Sorry, but I don't see this as jumping on the bandwagon... it's about warning folks not to buy these drives, and a comment on how manufacturers should react when something like this comes up.

Seagate might have finally acknowledged that there is an issue now, but it took complaints like these to get them to that point. They continued to leave these drives in the supply chain (I'm not even sure if they've recalled them yet) even when it should have been obvious to them that there was an issue... that wouldn't be acceptable for any piece of hardware, let alone something as critical as a 1T HDD.

As it stands... folks who bought drives which might be affected are still left out in the cold with a piece of hardware they can't trust. I know if I was running one of these, I'd be ordering a replacement immediately rather than waiting to see if the seagate would fail.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP