Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

/ looks to see where drive is made as it's the problematic PN

Yep, it's the exact drive that's having the issue, time to copy 407GB over to the Atom.

Last edited by Dr_BenD_over; January 14, 2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 04:57 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

3 of 7 IF I was you I'd get a RAID 0 eternal box ASAP! ANY brand of HDDs can go in the crapper w/out ANY warning. Losing your own data would blow....losing a clients data could kill your good name. IMHO, a couple extra bucks for a RAID'ed dual HDD e-sata box would be a wise investment....and so would two dif brand of hdds in that box...just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
The thing that worries me is I bought the 1T drive to copy other peoples docs to when I reformat their systems....
It's one thing to loose your own data through stupidity (lack of backups), it's another thing to loose a customers data due to the failure of a new drive.
I think I'll err on the side of caution and get a WD till they get this straightened out...
hmmmm, what to do with the Seagate though?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 14, 2009, 05:06 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I was talking to a guy who works at a local computer store and he says that the Seagates are coming back bad on a greater level than before, and I have heard others say similar. So if I see reports like this, even from the Inq, I tend to believe it.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 14, 2009, 05:48 PM
Allstar

I guess the raid 0 would make sense, I don't see an advantage to an external box though.
These look neat, anyone using them?
NCIX.com - Buy Samsung F1 RAID Class HE753LJ 750GB SATA2 7200RPM 8.9MS 32MB 3.5IN Hard Drive OEM 7YR MFR Wrty - HE753LJ In Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
3 of 7 IF I was you I'd get a RAID 0 eternal box ASAP! ANY brand of HDDs can go in the crapper w/out ANY warning. Losing your own data would blow....losing a clients data could kill your good name. IMHO, a couple extra bucks for a RAID'ed dual HDD e-sata box would be a wise investment....and so would two dif brand of hdds in that box...just in case
Old January 14, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
I was talking to a guy who works at a local computer store and he says that the Seagates are coming back bad on a greater level than before, and I have heard others say similar. So if I see reports like this, even from the Inq, I tend to believe it.
I'm wondering if Seagate has been using Maxtor's problematic factory remember what killed Maxtor in the first place - it started decent then it got taken over by massive failures in the end - the problem is so bad that the local store I used to purchase from before I shopped online is litteraly discouraging customers to buy Seagate because of the high return, claiming at some point he's seen more than HALF come back. This has nothing to do with the firmware bug or the 1 TB but in general.

Not too reassuring !
Old January 14, 2009, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

wouldn't raid 1 make more sense 3 of 7? for backup?
Old January 15, 2009, 04:27 AM

Lol I meant raid1! Sorry! Thats what i get for texting before sleeping ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 15, 2009, 04:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
wouldn't raid 1 make more sense 3 of 7? for backup?
Two things;

A. Raid is NOT BACK UP, it simply protects from disk failure but NOT data loss. If your finger slips and you format a drive, get infected with a virus, or some bug hoses your file system, no amount of raid will save you.

B. 3 of 7 uses it as a temporary holding area while he fixes clients computer, the data stays on the drive for no more than a couple hours I'd guess.

Again, I haven't had my morning tea yet.

3 of 7, that Samsung drive should work great for you! Its a good, fast, stable, reliable drive. You might find some of the F1 series drives being bashed on the net for higher than usual DOA rate(they either worked forever, or dead within a week), but it only affected the 1TB drives, and its been solved by now.
Old January 15, 2009, 04:59 AM

While I agree raid 1 is not a backup, it can protect data from a single point failure (like a bad drive). When dealing with other peoples data, an extra layer of security / redundancy / etc is never a foolish investment.

Old January 15, 2009, 07:04 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Lol I meant raid1! Sorry! Thats what i get for texting before sleeping ;)
Don't feel bad, I repeated it. (texting before thinking LOL)