Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 13, 2009, 11:57 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Data Recovery

So a friends Seagate 7200.7 200GB IDE hard drive smoked. I've been reading in certain cases you can do a PCB swap from another identical drive and retrieve your data, anyone try this yet?

I've tried one from a very close sibling and heard the drive spin up however it wouldn't detect in the BIOS.

If anyone happens to have a Seagate 7200.7 200GB they would part with, or other suggestions please let me know. There's a lot of numbers and codes that have to match in order to make it work. So a picture is worth a 1000 words. Maybe more in this case. Thx

Old January 13, 2009, 12:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

I've done it. The PCB has to be EXACTLY the same, same firmware, same revision, from the same drive, same EVERYTHING. "Similar" won't work.

That being said, even once you FIND a proper PCB, the HD will detect but the partition table will be gone, it will look like a clean drive in Windows/Linux/etc. You need to use a partition/data recovery tool like GetDataBack to actually read the HDD and get the data from it. Good Luck!