Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 9, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Patriot Warp V2 64Gb SSD Prelim. Performance Benchies

Here are some preliminary numbers on the Patriot Warp V2 64Gb that Santa gave me this year! I compared the Patriot drive to my older Seagate 7200.10 250Gb drive(just for reference) and did things little bit different than what I would normally do. I used Windows XP, Vista Ultimate, Vista Ultimate 64-bit and the all new Windows 7 just to give things a little twist!

All these tests were run on fresh O/S installs and then they were updated with the latest drivers. The Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L uses the P35 Express chipset with the ICH9 sata controller on the southbridge. See sig for system specifications. Onto some pictures then?

The front. Isn't she pretty?

The back. Plain and without and extra USB connection, like some other SSD drives do.

An overview of all the benchmarks run on these two drives. On the left you can see the O/S and each column will tell you its value. Highest scores are marked in grey. The Seagate ATTO numbers were so unreliable that they could not be posted. Some runs the Seagate gave me over 1000MB/s in tranfer speeds!!!

XP - HD Tach run on both drives

Vista Ultimate - HD Tach run on the Patriot SSD

Vista Ultimate 64bit - HD Tach run on both drives

Windows 7 - HD Tach run on the Patriot SSD

When comparing the O/S, you'll see that in general, there is very little difference between them. I highlighted the highest/best scores in all colums. Check it out closely! As you can see, XP is the winner in all benchies except for the Crystal Diskmark runs.

So overall, theoretically, you can see that this drive is a great improvement over my old Seagate drive, but at what cost? My 250Gb Seagate is now available for $ 58 while the 64Gb Patriot Warp V2 cost $ 200 after rebates. Luckily for us NAND flash storage chips are getting cheaper every day so expect SSD prices to drop over the next few months. Practically or in 'real life', my system became a lot snappier, installing O/S is now a snap of a finger, transferring data is a lot quicker, opening programs or loading game levels is much much quicker too. Am I happy? Definitely!

Please feel free to post any comments, rants, etc. etc.

Last edited by Prof. Dr. Silver; January 9, 2009 at 10:04 PM.
Old January 10, 2009, 05:13 PM
Allstar

do you think that and older dual core system (read has my 2.8ghz dual core opteron socket 939) benifit in speed from having SSD drive??

or the cpu would simply bottleneck the drive? im looking to spend a couple bucks and im looking to get a ssd but i dont know if its worth it or not

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old January 10, 2009, 05:45 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

For a good loooooooong while the Disk Drive has been the biggest bottleneck of any given system. IIRC a few years ago some pretty smart people took a look at the state of disk drives and they figured out that if you could ever get a disk drive to equal the horsepower made available by ultra fast ram (for the day) and a multi-gig cpu (pre multi-core CPUs mind you) your system would beat the snot out of any new systems for AT LEAST a decade.

....Long story short, SSDs will 99 times out of a 100 make a system seem faster (don't want to get into the whole Raid 5 w/ X hdds vs SSD vs IO controller vs blah blah blah). IF you can afford it...I would go for it....BUT if you can wait for a little while there is some pretty interesting tech coming down the pipe soon Might even be a Intel X25-M competitor.

EDIT I run V Raptors and even I'm envious of those numbers Prof! What did you bribe Santa with? :)~

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 10, 2009, 05:49 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I have some numbers for the Gskill SSD...
Old January 10, 2009, 06:23 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I have some numbers for the Gskill SSD...
Been looking for those in your worklog thread 3.0...gonna post those numbers?
Fold for team #54196
Old January 10, 2009, 06:44 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I'll create a quick thread. So we'll have some Patriots (twice), and some Gskills.
Old January 11, 2009, 03:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebdoradz View Post
do you think that an older dual core system (read has my 2.8ghz dual core opteron socket 939) benefit in speed from having SSD drive??

or the cpu would simply bottleneck the drive? im looking to spend a couple bucks and im looking to get a ssd but i dont know if its worth it or not
It will definitely benefit from the SSD's speed factor, but I believe at this point, the cost factor of a drive, certainly for a lower-end machine( don't get me wrong here, I am not dissing your rig :) ) is still too high for me and many others out there. I would rather spend that cash updating main components in my rig!

Quote:
EDIT I run V Raptors and even I'm envious of those numbers Prof! What did you bribe Santa with? :)~
That drive actually costed me an arm and a leg, an empty wallet and an empty house! The wife went with the boy to Florida for a week, on my expense ofcourse!
Old January 11, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

haha nice dr. Im debating getting an SSD, or vraptor. however the guy i was going to get vraptors off of hasn't replied, so i might just have to get an SSD or 2. depending on the price.

Tags
64gb , patriot , ssd , warp , windows 7