Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2009, 01:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I really wish they made them, as it's so much simpler and cleaner. When I was a kid I had a friend down the street from me, and I'd go over all the time to play Oregon Trail, and he had a five disc slot load 5.25" drive in his PC. It was awesome. It was obviously only a CD reader, but freaking cool. I've never seen anything like it since.
Old August 6, 2009, 11:43 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I really wish they made them, as it's so much simpler and cleaner. When I was a kid I had a friend down the street from me, and I'd go over all the time to play Oregon Trail, and he had a five disc slot load 5.25" drive in his PC. It was awesome. It was obviously only a CD reader, but freaking cool. I've never seen anything like it since.
When I was a kid.. there was no CD drive

I had CD readers where the entire drive came out of the 5.25 bay to insert a disc.
They were replaced with the awesome caddies.
Old August 6, 2009, 11:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Made by Creative Labs if I recall as I had one too.

It was noisy and unpredictable and I had to take it apart many times to free jammed cds.
Old August 13, 2009, 06:36 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Seriously almost every car on this planet made in the last 10years have slot loading CD players and PC has almost none, reliability could not be that much of an issue in regards to the car one's because they would not use them. Surely they could make one reliably enough for PC use?
Old August 13, 2009, 07:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There are a couple out there now, they are pretty popular in the modding community. I could link you to a couple of them if you want.