Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 30, 2008, 04:49 PM
MVP

Smile i finally managed to kill a seagate hard drive.......

its one of those drives they sell to sit beside your computer. i was moving it from upstairs to down and dropped it. it was almost hilarious watching this thing bounce down the stairs. each bounce getting a little higher than the last. and of course it was spinning and flipping all the way.

got quite a bang when it hit the cement floor at the bottom. just for the hell of it i plugged it in and got to hear the loudest squeal/grinding/clicking noise i have ever heard.

instead of using the online form i called seagate. the guy asked me how it happened. once he was done laughing his hole off, he said he would approve the rma because he had needed the laugh. couldnt hurt to ask.

not really a problem, just an amusing incident. i suspect though that SS Wilson may have been wondering when i was going to kill a seagate.

cheers

rob123
Old December 31, 2008, 07:36 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
its one of those drives they sell to sit beside your computer. i was moving it from upstairs to down and dropped it. it was almost hilarious watching this thing bounce down the stairs. each bounce getting a little higher than the last. and of course it was spinning and flipping all the way.
What did you expect honestly, that it would still work ? Those drives shock ratings are limited - and I don't think they are meant to bounce around like that LOL

Quote:
instead of using the online form i called seagate. the guy asked me how it happened. once he was done laughing his hole off, he said he would approve the rma because he had needed the laugh. couldnt hurt to ask.
You wanna know why he could use the laugh ?

Quote:
not really a problem, just an amusing incident. i suspect though that SS Wilson may have been wondering when i was going to kill a seagate.

cheers

rob123
BTW, next time you do something like that, have someone take some video
Old December 31, 2008, 08:08 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

You need to hit the forums to complain about Seagate's QC lately lol
Fold for team #54196
Old December 31, 2008, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post

got quite a bang when it hit the cement floor at the bottom. just for the hell of it i plugged it in and got to hear the loudest squeal/grinding/clicking noise i have ever heard.
(1)

instead of using the online form i called seagate. the guy asked me how it happened. once he was done laughing his hole off, he said he would approve the rma because he had needed the laugh. couldnt hurt to ask.(2)

cheers

rob123
1. Bad break.
2. Good break.