Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2008, 10:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Purchasing TB Hard Drive...Comments Please

Hey guys..looking at purchasing a TB HD in the next few weeks and basically am looking at these .....significant price difference between them...so any info would be much appreciated..thanks in advance

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1000GB 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 32MB Cache Ncq Hard Drive Oem - DirectCanada

or

Western Digital WD1001FALS Caviar Black 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 4.2MS 32MB 3.5IN Dual Proc Hard Drive OEM - DirectCanada

or possibly this
Samsung Spinpoint F1 Series HD103UJ 1TB SATA2 7200RPM 8.9MS 32MB 3.5IN Hard Drive Oem 3YR Mfr Wrnty - DirectCanada

Old December 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just realized that Samsung is 109.99 at DC and 171.00 at NCIX....think I'm leaning towards that Sammy...$109.99 seems pretty good.

Old December 27, 2008, 10:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I have heard lots of good things about the WD Caviar Black drives. I have that Seagate drive and it failed on me (the only Seagate I have ever had that failed). Otherwise it was a good drive until it died. I don't know much about the Samsung drives.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 27, 2008, 11:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The Samsung F1's performance is really good, but have had issues in the past/higher than usual failure rates. The Western Digital Black is going to be the FASTEST/BEST out of all of them, 5 year warranty, very solid drives, but you do pay a slight price premium for it.

If money not an issue, I'd jump on the WD Black for its performance, and great warranty. On the other hand, for a little less money, you could jump on the Samsung F1, its a great drive, will come very close to the WD Black's performance, and a respectable(3yr) warranty. As for the issues the Sammy F1's had, I'm pretty sure they have been solved by now(don't quote me on it).

Personally thou, I'd get the WD Black.

Edit - WD Black 1TB $135.30 at BestDirect(another NCIX owned store)

Last edited by Chilly; December 27, 2008 at 11:26 PM.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yep thanks guys...I was just reading the numerous posts on the NCIX Forums, seems there defintiely were issues with the Seagate 1TB Drives (think you confirmed it Warren), some disappointments as well with the Samsung (damn good price at $109) and of course all good comments re: the WD Black....excellent...
I'll figure it out over the next few weeks.....thanks guys for the comments and Chilly for the link, which I'l have a look at as that is a lower price than both NCIX and DC.

Cheers

Old December 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Chilly,
Whats the skinny with BestDirect...you say NCIX owned? Have you or anyone you know purchased from them and I see they show stock in Toronto and Van, so I'm assuning they have a Warehouse and ship out of Vancouver?

Thanks

Edit: Seems the extra $25 for WD Black over the Samsung would likely be a no brainer then?!

Last edited by rjbarker; December 27, 2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old December 28, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Chilly,
Whats the skinny with BestDirect...you say NCIX owned? Have you or anyone you know purchased from them and I see they show stock in Toronto and Van, so I'm assuning they have a Warehouse and ship out of Vancouver?
I believe its currently like this, lines/arrows indicate who owns/manages who:
Code:
NCIX
   |-> Direct Canada
   |-> NXSource
             |-> Memory House
             |-> BestDirect
             |-> Compu2000
NCIX directly manages Direct Canada AND NXSource, and NXSource manages BestDirect as well as a few other off brands such as Comp2000 and Memory House.

The Toronto "warehouse" is actually simply the stock at their distributor(IngramMirco, or w/e they use), they normally ship out of Vancouver, drop shipping from their distributor if need be(OOS at their respective warehouse and/or sisters like NCIX). If your worried and prefer going directly through NCIX, just do a price match, I've never seen them deny an inter-brand(same company/sister company) price match. Check your PM's for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Edit: Seems the extra $25 for WD Black over the Samsung would likely be a no brainer then?!
I'd say yes, for the extra $25, its a no brainer
Old December 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I think the WD Caviar Black will be my next drive as well..need a big drive to dump loads of video on.
Fold for team #54196
Old December 28, 2008, 01:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Actually there are mixed opinions - I've heard bad things about WD as well - My choice would be for Seagate - although it does seem they had issues with their 1 TB range, but from what I recall the issues were performance related, why would the 1TB seagates have any higher failure rate than the 500GB or lesser models.....
Old December 28, 2008, 02:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I didn't hear about any issues with Seagates and 1TB drives, except the fact that mine died. Perhaps they went with Maxtor stuff/facilities to produce this line? (speculation on my part but I don't really know)
Fold for team #54196