Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   seagate or samsung? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/12853-seagate-samsung.html)

rob123 December 13, 2008 03:31 PM

seagate or samsung?

since seagate gas recently lowered their warranty to 3 yr i am looking at other drives. one is the samsung 1tb drive. newegg has it for around $118 with free shipping. i have read a few reviews and they say samung is the way to go.

thought i would pop in here for some real world advice or samsung stories.

thx

rob123

enaberif December 13, 2008 03:34 PM

Give it up on the 3 yr warranty crap.

Seagate drives are perfectly fine.

rob123 December 13, 2008 03:49 PM

if they were so confident in their products why would they lower it?

rob123

enaberif December 13, 2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rob123 (Post 126370)
beggin your pardon but i was not aware that i had to run topics past you first. i will ask what questions i chose and i would like to ask just who do you think you are anyway? the topic is not as YOU put it "crap"

if they were so confident in their products why would they lower it?

rob123

It has nothing to do with confidence at all.

Hard drives are so in disposable that if a hard drive WAS to fail just go buy a new one. They aren't worth shipping back for RMA anymore.

By the time a 3 yr warranty is up there be faster, bigger and better drives out.

rob123 December 13, 2008 04:15 PM

i apologize for the tone of my reply.

i am a seagate fan. have never had one fail yet. i was wondering about the 1tb drives and the samsung in particular. wondering if anyone here has had experience with the samsung as i have heard that there were minor problems with the 4 platter 1tb seagate.

cheers

rob123

DarKStar December 13, 2008 06:46 PM

I agree with the above. 3 years, 5 years, not important - It has nothing to do with product quality - otherwise they would have 1 year warranty and even then..... The number of years of warranty means nothing - Many people have purchased products garanteed for that long and it failed within a year and they had to replace it over and over. As mentioned here, it's not even worth RMAing, especially if you are in Canada - all the paper work and the cost of shipping, for $30 more you get a brand new one. Unless you beg and have them do a reverse RMA and cover shipping both ways which I doubt they will now.

rjbarker December 13, 2008 07:25 PM

Quote:

It has nothing to do with confidence at all.

Hard drives are so in disposable that if a hard drive WAS to fail just go buy a new one. They aren't worth shipping back for RMA anymore.

By the time a 3 yr warranty is up there be faster, bigger and better drives out.
No kidding...!.....640 GB HD for $75....as Enab states "disposable" as are Optical Drives (non Blueray)

DarKStar December 14, 2008 02:27 PM

Actually they have gone up in price because of our weakened dollar - but not long ago I purchased 2 x 500 GB 7200.11 Seagates 32MB, for under $100, for both ! And as to opticals, you can get them for under $40 now LOL and to think I purchased my very first 2x burner at little over $450 ! :D

Phobia December 14, 2008 04:36 PM

seagate ftw. That 3 year warranty is no big deal.. i mean think of the technology 3 years ago and now..

miggs78 December 14, 2008 07:54 PM

^^ True, but it depends on current drives. 640, 750 & 1TB drives from Seagate aren't performing all that great, if you check on the net, you'll find out how many people are having endless performance problems related to at least the 640GB and 750GB drives. Otherwise Seagate for sure.