Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 2, 2008, 01:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
I'm not sure that it's just a slight QC problem with Seagate(this time...), which all mfgr's have from time-to-time. I honestly feel that buying Maxtor, and implementing some of their tech/QC practices is the Albatross around Seagate's neck, right now.
Frankly I agree, they should of never bought Maxtor out, and just let them(Maxtor) die a peaceful death.
Old December 2, 2008, 03:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I've been thinking of getting two of those 1TB F1's and throwing thing in RAID0... Anyone have any experience with these?

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old December 3, 2008, 05:22 AM
Allstar
F@H

Got a 750GB Seagate 7200.11 that I want to throw at a wall right now. It makes random clicks a lot more then it ever used to ... maybe every 2 minutes now?

I do also own a Samsung F1 1TB and it's in my file server so I can't say much about noise or clicks even since I can't see, let alone hear it. It just works and i'm happy.

I'm in the market also for a few more drives.. one to replace my Seagate and another for the file server so i can take out older/smaller IDE drives. However I don't really want to downsize from a 750 to a WD 640 cause I lost my delete key. Maybe two in RAID will fix me up.

I'll probably end up buying 2 more Samsung F1's unless there's a great deal on WD 1TB's Blacks.. we'll see what the sale brings tonight.

Old December 3, 2008, 07:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

At the moment, pick your choice of either WD or Samsung. Lots of people believe Samsung is like a Hit 'n' Run, if it works it lasts long, if it starts giving trouble then you're unlucky.

If Seagate don't do something to improve their Quality issues, they are looking to loose some die hard fans, I've always used Seagate's drives, but recently after hearing all the horror stories I went the WD way. I haven't raided them yet (2 drives) more because I am in the same boat as some of you including you Sniper of buying another HDD, those WD 250GB didn't last too long, as I wasn't happy with them. I am leaning towards the Samsungs F1 1TB drives. Then also WD have a very nice drive.

Please let us know your final decision Sniper and why you made it your decision, it could help others too :)
Samsung 931BW 19" LCD, Logitech MX Revolution